Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Willard report 07/04/05
My son and I went out for two hours tonight from 4 to 6pm. I wanted to check out my new bow mount electric trolling motor, well new for my boat anyway. We trolled the feedlot and caught two walleye and three wipers. The walleye were 19 and 20 inches, the wipers were all small. WH2
[signature]
I went up to willard by myself from 12:00-6:30. Caught 2 wallyes right off the get go out by the island. But then had to wait untill 4:00 untill I caught anything else. Between 4:00 and 5:30 I fished out by the light pole and caught 2 more walleyes and 7 wipers plus lost two. I was busy for that hour and a half, one time I had a double. Biggest walleye was 22", two of the wipers where around 19" and the rest where small. I released all of the fish. Surface temperature was 74.

Curt do you know whats up with all of the dead carp floating on the surface? Think they might of been hit by a prop? I can't remember seeing any cuts on them.
[signature]
Hi Curt! that is a good question, what is going on with all the dead carp? I have another question, you and WiperSlayer are always going out to Willard what if anything are you using to keep all those damn nats away?? went there last Thursday with the wife and the little one and it was bad![unsure]
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good afternoon, even with the slow spots. I wish I could have stayed longer but my son had to get back for a party. I guess we need to stay in better contact, we could have gone out and let my son go to his party earlier. Was the 22 inch walleye on the skinny side? I like eating walleye so I usually keep them but all the eyes I've cleaned lately have had empty stomaches. I wonder if all the high water this year has given the shad minnows more places to hide or maybe they are too few in number to feed all the hungry mouths. If their numbers are down there should be a second and maybe a third hatch of shad minnows this year.
With all the dead carp and even a few wipers and cats I'm sure something is going on but I don't think all of them were hit by props. It sure is nice to see all the clear water this year after the last few years when the water was so muddy. It really makes me think there isn't enough food for all the those fish, except for the fact that carp don't eat the same things the other fish eat, at least I don't think they do. If carp eat the baby shad along with all the fish in Willard that could be the problem.
[signature]
Nats, what nats? I guess we have been lucky this year, there has only been once when they have been really bad. The ideal time to be on Willard is when there is a slight breeze, the catching has been better and it keeps the bug off. Hey Wayne, were you fishing when you were there, I didn't see a report?
[signature]
no! just took the boat out for the first time this year[Sad] pulled it out of the garage the middle of May but the weather was so bad never got to use it, then I broke my ribs when I was out riding my bike (bike broke) so that layed me up for a while, but the wife had off so I took off too, I keep reading your posts sounds like you two have been on a roll this year. (keep me in mind maybe I can get out again).
[signature]
The walleye was skinny, I guess they are still feeding on bugs. Ya we will have to keep in touch. These three day weekends throw me off I am not use to fishing on Mondays in the middle of the day, I was thinking it was Sunday and you would be in church.
[signature]
ARE YOU GUYS SEEING ANY TERNS HITTING THE SURFACE?
As many of us know that the terns feed alot on the shad,and that was a good way to find the wipers in years past,But I have not seen the terns on the lake at all,maybe one or two flying by,but nothing to indicate that there are any shad on the surface at all.I think the last few years the low water has got the shad numbers way down,and thats why the wipers where being caught on divers this year,they are keying in on different prey,like babie cats or carp.
What do ya think?
and what are you seeing when your on the water?
Later,FNF.
[signature]