Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where should we go fishing?
I will be getting together with my three brothers and my dad on the 20th or 21st of this month for a full day of fishing on my brothers boat. We usually go to Strawberry or Scofield, but want to try somewhere new this year that is close enough to leave around sunrise and get there within about an hour to hour and a half. We want to be on the water shortly after sunrise. What "good" waters that are producing good results are within 1 - 1 1/2 hours of Pleasant Grove/Lindon? I know of Utah Lake, Deer Creek, and Jordanelle, but am wondering about others that are within that
1 - 1 1/2 hour distance. Info is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Although I haven't fished it myself (I'm now a gorge addict), I've heard some pretty impressive reports coming from Echo. Its about 25 minutes further than Jordanelle, but may be worth the drive. They've been pulling 2-4lb bows and browns out of there using various rapalas as well as the occassional monster. I've been told the key is to troll deep, 30+ feet.

Wherever you go, have fun!
[signature]
My son and I fished Lost Creek last weekend with great success. Trout size ranged from 12" to 17" cutts and bows. We were on pontoon boats using fly rods but with a boat, trolling or spinners should work as well. There were very few boats on the water for a holiday weekend.
[signature]
Try Fish Lake or Flamming Gorge.
[signature]
[reply]
Try Fish Lake or Flamming Gorge. [/reply]
We would love to go to either of those, but we are leaving before sunrise and returning that same night. We will be taking a camping/fishing trip in the fall and will likely hit a spot like Fish Lake or the Gorge since we will have more time. We want to stay within 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Orem/Provo for this particular trip.
[signature]
Sounds to me like you are into trout fishing.

Hate to say it but Jordanelle is close, and is some of the best trout fishing in the state. I have heard tales from some other anglers that say they have been consistantly landing 10+ pound browns there.

Pineview is great for multi-species action all day. Fish early mornings til about noon for the Tiger Muskie trolling 2-4 mph with big fire tiger rapalas and after that toss plastics into the reeds and to the rocky points and structure for the smallmouth.

I am hearing rumors that Yuba is still producing some huge rainbows and even a few of those "toothy" mystery fish have been getting caught east of the dam.

Pelican Lake has been on my mind ever since my trip over the 4th holiday. We absolutely slaughtered the largemouth and bluegill while there. A day and a half of fishing and over 100 fish caught. And even bluegill big enough to be caught on senkos.

Just some ideas, hope this helps complicate your decisions. Smile
[signature]
[reply]
Sounds to me like you are into trout fishing.

Hate to say it but Jordanelle is close, and is some of the best trout fishing in the state. I have heard tales from some other anglers that say they have been consistantly landing 10+ pound browns there.

Pineview is great for multi-species action all day. Fish early mornings til about noon for the Tiger Muskie trolling 2-4 mph with big fire tiger rapalas and after that toss plastics into the reeds and to the rocky points and structure for the smallmouth.

I am hearing rumors that Yuba is still producing some huge rainbows and even a few of those "toothy" mystery fish have been getting caught east of the dam.

Pelican Lake has been on my mind ever since my trip over the 4th holiday. We absolutely slaughtered the largemouth and bluegill while there. A day and a half of fishing and over 100 fish caught. And even bluegill big enough to be caught on senkos.

Just some ideas, hope this helps complicate your decisions. Smile [/reply]
Thanks for the suggestions and the information. I grew up in South Carolina, so I was raised on game fish like Largemouth and Smallmouth. I prefer fishing for Largemouth, Smallmouth, bluegill, crappie, walleye, etc.... I love trout too, but I would take a day of fishing with the chance to tear up the bass over a day of trout fishing 10 out of 10 days.
[signature]
Jordanelle Smallmouth action is pretty darn good too then. Smile
[signature]