Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7/06/05 (report)
Hit willard last night about 5:30 and fished until 9:15. We caught 19 wipers on blue and white producers and silver and green rattle traps. All but two of the fish were caught about 100 yards north of the island trolling east and west. The other two were caught over by the feedyard on our way back to the north marina. We kept 8 of the bigger ones and released the rest. We were trolling 3.0 mph GPS speed and the water temp was 77 degrees. Planers boards and out the back of the boat were pretty even as far as action goes. We did see some surface boiling when we first got there but it did not last long. Its nice to see things finally coming together over there.
About how far back behind the boat were you trolling with the lures that were not on the side planners ?

BTW - I own a 1973 16 foot aluminum Crestliner - a great fishing craft !
[signature]
We were back quite a ways. I would have to guess some where around 25 to 30 yards.
Great report, how deep was the water you were fishing in? No walleye? Thanks for posting the info.
On a side note, a friend caught a largemouth last week a Willard. It was the first report that I have heard of a largemouth being caught at Willard in over ten years and with the high water this year I hope they get a good spawn. The guy that told me about the catch is a tournament bass fisherman so he knows the difference between a LM and a SM. WH2
[signature]
We stayed in about 20 feet of water all night long.
I have heard reference to this "Island" often at Willard. Where is this island?
I know of the feedlot, light post, north and south marinas, but thats about it.
[signature]
The island is north west of the south marina as you are headed for the light pole ( it's marked by a bouy ).
[signature]
I catch a LMB or two every year from willard. They are more common in there than you might think. Not as numerous as Smb though.
[signature]
That is good news, I guess people just don't report catching them at Willard very often. Are you fishing the shore line when you catch them? WH2
[signature]