Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting started with gun safety
With spending as much time as I do in the outdoors I am finding it would be wise to go thru a gun safety course and get me some "protection".

I have never handled a gun before so I am clueless as to where to go for cheap safety lessons and getting on a range to shoot.
[signature]
Craig, your best bet would probably be to sign up for a hunters education class. The majority of what they cover is gun safety. I haven't taken it since I was a kid, but I seem to remember it being about twice a week in the evenings for a couple of hours. The course lasts 6-8 weeks or so. You could also contact the state run range that is on 2100 S and about 5600W, I'm sure they offer some sort of training courses. If you want to go out shooting some time let me know. I don't own any pistols, but I have plenty of small, medium, and large caliber rifles you can try out. When you get ready to buy a gun, let me know. I've spent my time at the range, in the field, and at the reloading bench and could offer some decent advice on models and calibers to fit your needs.
[signature]
Thanks and I will let you know. I will be aiming mainly or a smaller caliber hand gun. Cost and compactness will be a big factor as I would like to be able to take it with me when i get a consealed weapon permit. I will dig into the gun clubs, shooting ranges, etc and see what I can come up with.
[signature]
I am a former Range Safety Officer at the Lee Kay Shooting Center and can assure you the center offers some real fine gun safety classes. You can visit there (Weds - Sun) or call them for info. Look under Utah, Dept of Wildlife Resources, Lee Kay Center.

I took my concealed carry classes there so they may still have them available.
[signature]
you know, there are hunting and shooting boards here on BFT. You should post this query there as well.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Craig, these guys have pointed you in a pretty good direction. I took my class from a retired gunsmith, who still has a gun shop out of his garage, but it's up in Clearfield. Most people don't like "Super Dell" (as I don't) but I do know that he also has a gun shop and range (totally awesome gunrange) what else would he call it? I know they teach concealed weapons carrying permit classes, and have a range too. THere's a place on Redwood Road (just down from TubeDude's house in T-Ville) called Doug's Shooting Sports (or something to that effect). I see their adds in the Sports section of the two local papers all the time, and they have classes also. Good luck, dude!
[signature]
I used to teach the Firearm Safety classes for the Washington State game dept. While the classes teach you the very basics of handling a firearm while hunting, it won't show you what you need to handle a personal firearm safely. The safest way to learn would be to contact a reputible gun shop that has a fireing range and they usually have classes and programs available. The biggest mistake made is buying a hand gun and thinking you don't need lessons. I've made a statement for years now that altho it seems easy to dispute me, know one has ever won. The statement is "There is no such thing as a shooting accident". There isn't a single so called "accident" out there that can't be proven to be anything other than neglect.
This wasn't put out as a challange, but I will except any.
[signature]