Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives
Another option, for the rod at least, would be to buy an inexpensive telescoping rod. I have two of them. One cost $5, the other less than $20. If you don't like the telescoping rod idea, I don't blame you. I hated it at first too, but I have come to love the rods! There is also multi (4-5) piece travel rods for al sorts of cheap prices. eBay has tons of them. If you can't get a tube, don't want to make one, and still want to use your regular rod(s) there may be one option left. Buy a hardside rifle case from Wal*Mart or a gun store. They are padded inside, and should be feasible as long as you can make your rod fit into about 40" or less. That should work fine with a 2 piece, though the TSA workers might have a [#ff0000]heart attack [/#ff0000][#000000]when they see the case[unsure]. There may even be longer ones because face it, they make rifles that are longer than 40" (ie. muzzle-loaders, some competition/ varmint rifles, some (especially trap) shotguns, and those beloved (pre) WWII era service rifles (Garands, some Lee Enfields, some Mosin Nagant, etc...). Is you search enough, you will find something to suite your needs. Also, while not padded, and tis will not work at all if you have your reel attached, there is plastic document carriers they sell at art supplyu stores, though your rod would need to break doen into (appx) 3' lengths for that to work. You could also mail your tackle home in mailing containers- just you'll be away from it for a little while. If you use Priority Mail, the USPS has ****FREE**** triangular boxes that are LLLLLLLoooooooonnnnng. They also supply them for next day guaranteed (to most areas) Express Mail. [/#000000]
[signature]