Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drop shot rig
What is the best way to set up for a drop shot rig.I bought some mojo drop shoting weights and I want to make sure i rig it right.Any info would be great!
[signature]
Go to mojolures.com they have it drawn out. The MOJO weighs should have shown you how in the package if not send me by PM your phone # I" ll give you a call and explain OK.
[signature]
Ask bassrods... the dropshot guru. [cool]
[signature]
First, choose a hook. Drop shot/split shot or something bigger like a 1/0 extra wide gap(ewg). Depending on the size bait you want to use will be your hook selection(tryout a couple sizes).

Second, tie your hook facing your reel(open side facing reel. very important) with a palomer knot. Leave yourself alot of leader length so you can adjustment the way you want it. Rule of thumb on leaders is 6" to 18", I've use up to 3 feet even(I swear I wasn't proud of my self).

Drop shot or backwards carolina rig, can be very effective tool for catching fish. Its not a difficult setup by any means, very simple. You can use small like 1"1/2 baits to 5 inchers. Whatever you want to present its your choice. You can also use live or frozen baits too! Weights, at first get the cheapest you can buy. Split shots will do in a pinch. Then find some that will work for you.

For more information, do a search on "Drop shotting". There will alot of styles and hints from pro's telling you about tactics and riggings.

Last year, I dropped shotted for macs with Blm and Predator. Put it this way, I smoked their asses.

[signature]
Just to add to Tomegun's comments, a G-Lock worm hook from Gamakatsu in 1 - 3/0 size also work, again depending on the size of your bait. Since dropshotting is more of a finesse technique, I rarely use anything bigger than a 3/0, although I've used a 4/0 wide gap in a pinch and caught fish also. Start with 1/4 oz shot and experiment with the conditions. Depth, wind, and structure will be determine the shot weight. You can hook your worm wacky, texas, or texposed. If you really want to have fun with the DS rig, try tying on two hooks and see if you can get a double, of course, you'll go through your plastics twice as fast, but hey, it's only money. Hope this helps. We have a lot of bassin' guys in this forum, so don't be afraid to ask more questions.
Utfishguy31

Heres a couple of articles on a couple of ways to tie on a drop shot rig.

[url "http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html"]http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html[/url]

[url "http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/castspin/articles/drop-shot-rig/"]http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/castspin/articles/drop-shot-rig/[/url]
[signature]
thans guys for all the help..I ran up to lake X last night only was able to fish for 45 min or so I didnt get to try drop shotting .I was able to catch on smallie and a few perch befor the storm came in.
[signature]
Hey!, you never shared those kind of details with me when we were out on the water and I was learning the art. (still am) You wanted to insure that you outfished me.[Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink](j/k)

What time do you get off on Friday?
[signature]
The best way to learn is to just go out and do it. Ignore the wannabe pro's and just go fishin'

[signature]
It's kind of funny when I'm off the water, all this bits and pieces of wisdom come to me, but go totally blank at times when I'm on the water, I think the water has a mesmerizing effect on me. Like you I am still learning the art, also and I think Tomegun described me best, a wannabe pro, still have to get past the stage of a wannabe amateur. Speaking of outfishing each other, I think the score is 10-1 in your favor. I will be getting off (Fri.) somewhere around 4 pm, if I get in to work early enough.
[signature]
Puhleeese........ The only thing I outdo you 10-1 on our trips are snags, tangles, and birdsnests!

For the record, Kastmaster is VERY good at his dropshooting technique, and is a good teacher. His student is a little dense though.
[signature]