Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappies on ice
[cool] [size 3]Forgot to answer RBS on the crappies question. I used to be one of many Utah coldfooters who did regular damage to crappies, both on Willard and Pineview. The "balance of power" has shifted in both of those waters and crappies are now definitely in the minority. But, they are still there.[/size]

[size 3]Regardless of where you find crappies, they have some similar habits and characteristics. Mainly, they school up and hang around structure in the cold water months. In Pineview, that means docks or stickups. Sometimes a long point or a hump will concentrate the fish. In Willard, it's usually docks, inside the marinas, or any slight bump with some rocks on it in the main lake.[/size]

[size 3]Another thing to factor in, when fishing crappies, is their tendency to stratify at some depth above the bottom. If you fish for crappies like you do for perch...near the bottom...you will usually be fishing beneath the fish. And, most fish will rise up to take a lure, but will seldom drop below their holding zone.[/size]

[size 3]My game plan, when targeting crappies, especially if I don't have a sonar (I never leave home without it anymore), is to rig a tandem rig with a couple of 1 1/2" twisters or tubes...on 1/64 oz. heads...tipped with waxworm. I drop them a foot or two at a time, allowing them to remain in a zone and wiggling them only slightly (crappies don't like a lot of motion). I keep dropping and stopping until I touch the bottom. Then, I use the rod tip to slowly raise the rig a few inches at a time, giving the reel handle a turn once in awhile until back near the top.[/size]

[size 3]Another characteristic of winter crappies is that they seldom hit hard. Most takes will be little more than a light tick, as the crappie sucks the offering in. Sometimes you will just feel a slight bit of weight as you start to lift the rod. Other times you will notice the rig stop before hitting the bottom, when you are dropping it. Crappies often intercept slowly falling jigs. That's why you rig light.[/size]

[size 3]On Willard, a small white tube or twister is best on bright days with clear ice. Ice flies or plastics in chartreuse, white or black all work at times. I usually keep two or three rods rigged differently and change often when the action slows. I have also had good success on two-color minitubes in blue/white, red/white, black/white, black/chartreuse and purple/white.[/size]

[size 3]If you find docks in at least 8 -10 feet of water, drill several holes around the shadiest side and then walk off the ice for awhile to let the fish settle down. DON'T WALK ON THE DOCKS. And, shoot anyone who does walk on them while you are trying to fish next to them. Often the fish will be only a few feet deep, no matter how deep the water at the end of the docks.[/size]

[size 3]Even though the water levels are low this year, they should start coming up before the end of ice fishing season. Keep drilling and dipping around docks and in the deeper parts of the marinas at Willard, and around points and structure in Pineview. Bring a sonar or underwater camera for electronic assistance.[/size]
[signature]
[size 2]I have only caught a hand full of crappies threw the ice at pineview. Thanks again for the response and the detail. I'm sure this will help me this year. I love catching crappies threw the ice! Their bite is so soft and sutle it makes for some fun fishing. Thanks again.[/size]
[signature]