Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 8-5-05 thru 8-6-05
Hit the Berry last night and this morning with my brother in law and his boy. Only fished for 40 min last night, but still managed 5 fish between us. Slept in and didnt get on the water untill 5:50 this morning. We would hook up about every 5 minutes until 9:00 am then it slowed down to a fish every half hour. Left at 1:00pm. Tried to find some minnows form bait and every place I looked, nada. Lost of crayfish but no minnows. These are places that earlier this year and last year, I found lots of minnows. About half the fish we caught were rainbows with the biggest bow going 19 in. Our biggest cutt went 21 inches.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We, IFG, Petty and myself, were up there Friday and hit every marina ramp and dock on the lake looking for shiners. Nada. We did manage about 300 chub minnows though. Beggars can't be chosers. Last weekend, the Aspen Grove marina was thick with shiners. Unfortunately I didn't have my cast net.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We also talked to a F&G officer and he said later in the summer, the shiners kind of disappear. I wouldn't of thought that last weekend. I could of filled up an ice chest if I had not forgot my cast net, with 4" - 6" shiners. I did manage about 60 nice shiners last weekend in a minnow trap hung off the slip dock, using dry dog food as bait. Beautiful bait for ice fishing.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Just because you are hangin' out with the IFG, doesn't mean you have to start thinkin' about ice fishin'.[Wink]
[signature]
Glad to hear you had a few hours of fast fishing. Where you trolling or jigging?

Last weekend we launched at 5:45am and there where no minnows to be found. Went back to the marina at 3:00pm and there where tons of minnows I made two casts with the net and had enough for our 3 day trip plus gave some to acouple other guys plus had some to take home. Only had a couple shiners in the mix but I would rather have chubs than shiners since the chubs stay on better and I havn't noticed the shinners being any better for fishing any way.
[signature]
When I was up there last week there was shiners everwhere also. Didnt get any because the storm rolled in and we left. Maybe I will have to try a trap. Need to restock the ice fishing supply also.
[signature]
We were trolling. I have only had fair success jigging. Hear I need to hook up with the jigging master, MGB, for a few pointers on finesse jigging the Berry.
[signature]
Thanks for the report . Nice to hear some bows being caught . What did you catch the bows on ? I hooked one last week on a flame red needlefish last weekend . I always prefer to hook the bows for the fight . I also hope to find the kokanee after years of not having a boat . Now I wish I had a downrigger to get to them better .
[signature]
Caught the bows on a varity of lures but mostly on red/silver crockadile, aslo a few on a brown/black rapala. I have found thatI fishing the Slodier Creek side produces alot more rainbows the last two years. Maybe thirty percent compared to one percent on the Strawberry side. As for the kokanee they have become a mystery to me, other than during the spawn it been about 5 years since I caught them consistantly. I used to catch them on all colors of triple teasers and needle fish. But these dont seem to work for me anymore.
[signature]