Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slab spoon painting
Hey TubeDude,

I've been admiring your slab spoon pics posted in the Best of the Best section. I've made a few by flattening trolling sinkers and banana weights and they look pretty good. Been feeding them to some of our local Kokanee. They like them. My question is, how did you get that glitter finish to look so good on yours. My attempts look pretty gloppy.

Along that same line, any other painting tips for these would be appreciated. I've been searching on the web and experimenting myself but the learning has been slow. I have powder paints and vinyl liquid.

Thanks for any assistance.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Zonker, glad you like the goodies. I will attach some of the pics and writeups I have accumulated to give you some more visual and written assistance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glitter painting has been a big thing with me for quite a few years. I have satisfied myself that predatory fish really do respond to a the "scale" appearance of glittered jigs and spoons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tried powder paints, but gave up on them. They make a great tough head, resistant to plastic solvents, but I hate having to clean out the eyes and the actual slow coating process. Also, they do not come in many of the colors I prefer. And, if you glitter them, you need the other paints anyhooters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached pics, I include "Ice Jigs & Spoons) I started hammering long sinkers into slab spoons over twenty years ago. I used a lot of glitter prism tape on those, as I do now on some of my cast slab spoons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry, I got carried away on the attachments. Have fun.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's precisely what I was needing. Thanks!

This site and primarily your work and enthusiasm have become a great inspiration to my fishing interests. Your generosity and willingness to share to the level you have taken it is something rare.

I'll put your instruction to good use right away. I have a new slab spoon mold on order. It should arrive soon. In the meantime, that's me out in the garage hammering lead. Look out fish!

zonker
[signature]
What Pat didn't tell you is that he got his inspiration from that movie starring Mariah Carey![Tongue][cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Mariah Carey? Nevah![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was most influenced by "Flashdance" and "Rhinestone", with a little bit of "Paint your wagon".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sparkle, sparkle little jig...[/#0000ff]
[signature]
One more question for our friend Tubedude...

Given the way the epoxy topcoat sags on some of my nearly finished work, you must use some kind of a turner to rotate the slab jigs as the set up. Any suggestions on handling that problem?

Thanks.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are two things that will help you get a thick but even topcoat. First, let the mixed up epoxy set for a half hour or so before using it. Second, unless you are in a really big hurry, apply two thin coats and allow the first to cure completely before applying the second.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are using glitter, mixed into clear vinyl jig paint, let the glitter coat dry and then add one or two top coats of plain clear vinyl. It adds both strength and depth to the glitter coat...looking good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh, and I almost never mix the glitter in with the epoxy paint any more. If the epoxy does run, during the curing process, it makes the glitter job look bad. That's why I use clear vinyl paint to mix the glitter in. It sets up much faster. The same principle holds true as with the epoxy though. Applying two thin coats of glitter will give you better results than one thick one. Keep the thinner handy and put a couple of eyedroppers full of thinner in your mix as needed to keep it workable and so that it does not gob on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I do not put hooks on my spoons until after they are all painted and epoxied. Too much potential for hooking myself. I use little wire Christmas ornament hangers to hang them on racks while drying between coats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached pics, one rack is an office organizer. I now use some white vinyl coated kitchen racks (second pic) that I bought for a dollar in a thrift store.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those tips oughta help.

I used Devcon Two-ton 30 minute epoxy yesterday on the advice of someone else who makes showcase crankbaits. He uses a rotating rack, for now obvious reasons. I think he also makes one lure at a time, too, unlike my wanting to coat several dozen at a time. I went back through your instructions to find that the epoxy you are using is different - probably takes longer to cure. I missed that the first time.

I'll order some different epoxy and try again.

Thanks for your continued assistance. The ones that didn't sag look pretty good.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I would never recommend the Devcon epoxies for coating lures. They are mostly not waterproof and will turn white and chip off if not. If they don't chip off, they discolor and turn amber color, which ruins a white or any other light lure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those epoxies are made for bonding, not coating. If you want the best quality top coat for lures, order the stuff from Barlows or Janns. It does take longer to cure, but it makes a better long term finish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, if you are impatient, you can cure the epoxy in 20 to 30 minutes by baking it at 160 to 170 in the oven. Don't make the heat any higher or you will end up with the dark amber look of the other stuff. If I am in a hurry on a batch of jigs, for a fishing trip, I will bake them. But, if I can wait, I am usually happier with the final color and results.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I assume we're talking about this?

[Image: epoxy_topcoat.jpg]

It's listed as a top coat at Stamina Components, Inc.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's the stuff. However, I think you will find it cheaper at Barlows [url "http://barlowstackle.com/"]http://barlowstackle.com/[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: 406050.jpg]

[Image: 406094.jpg]

[#0000ff]In the top picture, there are several colors of epoxy paint...in 2 oz. bottles...including clear. You also need to order a 2 oz. bottle of activator. They are $4.89 each.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The smaller 1 oz. bottles are $6.82 for the 2 oz. set.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, it is cheaper (by the ounce) to get the larger bottles, but unless you are going to use a lot, get the smaller bottles. The epoxy goes bad if it is on the shelf much over a year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
OK. I think I'm getting in the groove. I had checked Barlows before but at a time when they were apparently having problems with their website. I looked it over again and things are fine. Prices are better on a number of things. They'll be getting my order.

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy bottle size.

'Preciate all your good assistance.

zonker
[signature]