Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Line ???
When I went to powell last weekend fishing for strippers eerrr.. stripers I invested in fire line for the first time.I love it Its great stuff!!(for stripers anyway). I have one question,what its the down sides of it,the only thing i saw is it started to unwind itself or come apart after so many casts.Any of you have this problem?? I would like to get everyones feeling on this fire line the pros and cons!!
[signature]
I find it to be brittle in extremely cold weather. Other than that I havent had a problem.
[signature]
I used it for the first time in Canada while fishing for "Jack Fish" or Northern Pike. I wanted to see how well it would hold up against all of the sharp teeth. After about the third fish I decided to retie. It reall held up well. One diSadvantage that I have seen is whe you get snaged up. You will break you rod or reel before you snap the line.

Just my two cents.
[signature]
Fireline is nice and strong, but one advantage/diSadvantage depending on the type of fishing is that it floats. If you are fishing for cats in the reeds and there's a breeze, then line gets blown bad into the reeds and always snags you up. It's stonger than crap though, I've uprooted trees that a channel cat wrapped me around and dragged fish and tree in together with that stuff.
[signature]
I use it for vertical jigging for macks, and it works well for that. It would not work well for trolling where one needs a little give in the line, especially if one was trolling for kokanee.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I have never had a problem myself, but that's not saying that it won't happen.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Fireline and Ceramic guides don't mix. It tends to wear a groove in the guides.

I have also found that fireline and Coffee grinders (spinning reels) don't mix either. Too much memory.

Fireline and Baitcast reels with steel guides are a good math reguardless of the type of fishing that you do. I use it on certain saltwater applications and have had excellent results.[cool]
[signature]
My father loves to use a sliding bobber when fishing off the bottom but the fireline doesn't slide through the shaft of the bobber well unless there is extra heavy sinkers, which tends to lend to a lot of snags on the bottom.
BBG
[signature]
For me i have found it hard to tie.But i do use it for leader,when trolling for big macks.I like it as leader material,cuz it dont have much strech.
[signature]
I used Fireline and it did not hold up well when jigging in deep water for macks, the line started to unravel and made it very hard to retie. The freezing temps might have made it come apart sooner but it got so bad that I replaced it before the year was over. I bought braided spiderwire next and have had it on for over a year with out the problems I had with Fire line. I use it on a bait caster reel, jigging in deep water and trolling with side planners but I don't think it would work very good for casting. WH2
[signature]
I have spider wire on a spinning reel and I am impressed with how well it casts. Give it a try it might suprise you. This line is now in its fourth year of some pretty heavy use and finnally showing its age. Think I will replace it this year.
[signature]
Would the fire line or the braded line work for ice fishing..I would think to have the ultra thin line 2lb dia the awsome sensitivity would be great for ice fishing when the bites are soooo lite..
[signature]
Only problem there is when ice fishing it tends to freeze. So you would have hard line with icecicles on it. Sad Great stuff though, 6lb can cast twice as far as normal mono and the sensativity is awesome!
[signature]
That would be a problem if your line freezes..Have any of you used the floralcarbon line??? I think its a berkly or stren product.
[signature]
I thought the braided line would be hard to cast because of the resistance of the braid on the guides but it sounds like it might be worth a try, thanks. What kind of guides are on the pole you use with the spider line? WH2
[signature]
Hi Steve,

I am a little late with this, but like BigFishrule said, I also love SpiderWire on my spinning reel. I started using it three years in Pelican Lake, throwing hulu poppers into the reeds. You can rip the lure right throw the garbage and I have never broke the line. I still have it on a spinning reel and is now showing some wear, so I guess I should replace it.
[signature]
I was curious if this stuff would work for fly fishing so I visted the site. Here are some tips posted from Berkley on using the stuff.

[url "http://www.berkley-fishing.com/technotes/1222-FireLine-Tips.htm"]http://www.berkley-fishing.com/technotes/1222-FireLine-Tips.htm[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the web link. That was good info on fire line.I uesed it trolling at the berry last saturday and it was great .I could feel just the slittest taps on my jig.I didnt notice any unraveling either..I guess the jury is still out,but so far so good!!
[signature]
Fireline is tough, my only problem with it is all the black marks left behind, whenever it touched anything.

Perhaps this only lasts a short time. But after one time using it, and having my hands painted black, I switched to spiderwire stealth.
[signature]
Is fireline and spiderwire the same kind of line or is it completly diffirent from each other??
[signature]