Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Berry Bad trip
I went to the berry last friday night got there around 6:00,fished for a few hours then docked the boat and went to the cabin.I got back on the water at 8:00am after sleeping thru my alarm set for 5:30.Started over in renegade (medows) trolled with the wind and caught a few,decided to goto another spot went to turn the big motor on and nothing..WOW..tried it agian...nothing..there is nothing like your battary going bad on you in the middle of a big lake!!!..I went back to check it and I noticed it was hot and was melting the rubber cover on the positive terminal,burned my self while checking the conections.Well after trying for afew more times I opend up the caps and noticed the water was low in my battery,I filled them up with bottled water and hoped for the best..nothing it didnt help I figured I draned it enough that it didnt have enough juice to kick the motor over.2 hours later trolling back to the marina in a wind (not fun) It was my first time puting my boat on a trailor with no motor..(this was alot of fun) with a wind.ON top of all of this I forgot my radio to call out to the other BFT'rs .I would have came over to help wtih the cast for kids if the boat ran.Oh well you have these kind of trips sometimes...Always keep an eye on your water levels for your batterys..[pirate][mad]
[signature]
This sound more like a direct short to me.. Low fluid levels in the battery shouldnt cause the coating on the Postive lead to melt but a direact short along that cable would.. It would also pervent you from firing up the engne. Just a suggestion.
Also check for other burnt or bare wires along your system. Vibration and rubbing of wiring can cause major problems when you least expect it..
[signature]
I replaced my cables this spring with new ones..it sounded like it was starving for gas.I just changed my fuel filters 3 weeks ago.I am just wondering if my battery was low to begin with to turn it over..I am charging it up tonight and try and start it. If that doesnt work then I have another problem..Could the coil be gone it it?

BOAT .. Break. Out. Another.Thousand....[mad][mad]
[signature]
If you cant reel in the problem I'd highly suggest you drop Danzilla a PM..
But as I understand it, you got "nothing" when you turned the key. Was the engine turning over what so ever as you turned the key, or, merely not starting as it turned over?
If it wasnt turning over as you turned the key its still my guess you have a direct ground/short somewhere causing it to drain your battery and effect its starting and running ability.

Wiring/eletrical problems can be a real pain in the butt!

Best of Luck
[signature]
The short thing sounds about right low battery will not melt wires.
And low fuel will not melt wires, its a short.
[signature]
The engine was trying to turn over..I thought I may have flooded it trying to turn it over so much..Maybe its my fuel pump..I just changed all of my fuel filters and it has been running great until saturday .It started right up saturday morning right when I got it off the trailor..It ran and sounded normal all the way over to renegade.It ran great friday night also when I had it out..Go figure..Thanks for your guys help and input.I am going to try and start it up tonight.
[signature]
Dude been there done that! I learned my lesson the hard way.I always carried a spare battery and rope for towing.Also had a trolling engine just in case.I had my batteries checked at least twice in the local car shop every year cause you never know when the cells will die. Did yo try to flag anyone down for a tow? I know some people are ignorant that wont help out it happened to me a couple of times.
[signature]
It sounds to me like you had it held in the start position and the battery was trying and just not quite enough juice to do it. so you were causing your own direct short in the starter solinoid.
Your battery is probibally shot and hopefully your starter is ok, I'm just guessing.
DZ
[signature]
Thats what I am hoping..I didnt have a chance last night to fool with it but I am going tonight if it doesnt rain to bad.. I had a trolling motor to get me in so I didnt have to wave anyone down,it just took longer and it wsa a huge pain to put the boat on the trailor..There are alot of ignort people that wont give you the time or day but I am glad there is a few out there will help someone,I have towed my share of people in myself..
[signature]