Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To be a male bluegill.
The discussion about bluegills last week caused me to think about an interesting subject I studied back in the undergraduate days,in an upper division ecology/evolution class I took. The original scientific paper is here.

[url "http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/77/11/6937"]LINK TO ARTICLE[/url]

One of the authors, Dr. Charnov was one of my instructors at the U. Anyway, the paper discusses that there are two "life histories of male bluegills. The main one is the "typical" pattern where the males grow for up to 7 yrs, grow to large (for a gill) size, and fight and defend nests, while encouraging females to lay their eggs in their nests for fertilization. Numerically, these are the most common, and what we are used to catching. The alternative is where it gets interesting. These are called "cuckolders". They are sexually mature at only 2 yrs. They do not grow to the size of typical males, and have external female characteristics. What they do reproductively is sneak in and out of nests made by "typical" males and when the male isn't watching, fertilizes the eggs in the nest. Cuckolders do not in time become "typical" males. It is an example of a type of parasitism involving a single species. If you catch a "female" looking gill that leaks milt on you it is a cuckolder.

One other topic that came up, which I thought I might elaborate on, is the phenomenon of selection pressure. It was brought up (correctly) that fishing typically exerts a selective pressure against large size because the typical angler wants a "big one". There is more to consider though when doing a selection problem. I came up with 3 more pressures in the example of gills. (There may be more) 1. Fish predation; Smaller sized fish are more prone to fish predation, so the selection "pressure" favors larger gills, IF there are predatory fish (ie big bass) in a fishery. 2.Bird and other predation; Pelicans will eat any sized gill, but terns, grebes, and cormorants probably eat more small fish so the "pressure" is toward larger size here. 3. Breeding success; A larger male gill will be better able to defend a nest, and fertilize larger quantities of eggs, so the "pressure" here favors more size. The net result regarding size, or any other trait, is when you add up all of the pluses and minuses and get a net result. The final "result" will often change from time to time depending on changes in the many factors.

I hope this wasn't intolerably boring, but I had fun dredging this up from my mushy grey matter, and having a flash or nostalgia from the old college days. Tight lines all.
[signature]
Interesting stuff that I'm sure many don't take into consideration. My questions is how do you tell the dif between a male and female bluegill?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The easiest way to tell the difference in genders is through the coloring. The difference is most pronounced during the spawning season, but can be distinguished all year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In most waters, the females are slightly smaller than males the same age. They are also more "pale", with pronounced vertical bars over a greenish and/or coppery body.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The males can be real gaudy showoffs during spawning time. They get dark colored with patches of sky blue on their gills (blue gills), bright red-orange on their "breasts"...even up to a dark maroon color. During the spawn, it is very easy to tell the difference in sexes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pics. The first is a side by side male and female pic, of a couple of fatties from Pelican Lake. The other pics are from other areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10049;]
SPAWNING FEMALE AND SPAWNING MALE

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11210;]
FEMALE...PARTIAL SPAWNING COLORS

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11723;]
FEMALE...NON SPAWNING COLORS

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11211;]
MALE BLUEGILL...NON SPAWNING COLORS

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11722;]
MALE IN PARTIAL SPAWNING COLORS (Note blue on the lower gills)
[signature]
Thanks for the explanation, I have noticed that difference and often wondered if that was the case that they were male/female. I had them backwards however.

I must admit, I've learned more about fish and fishing from this site in just a couple months than I have in the last 15 years. Everybody keep up the good work, this is the best forum I have ever witnessed.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We're glad you found us, and we appreciate your appreciation. We also appreciate your input and reports. That's what it's all about. Take what you need and share what you can.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About those bluegill colors...during the winter and/or in muddy water, when the fish turn very pale, it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference. But, during the spawning season, it is easy. You don't even have to cut the fish open. Often, when you catch a "ripe" male, they will squirt a stream of "liquid" all over when you grasp them. Diabolical anglers will "accidentally" aim it towards their fishin' buddies or long suffering family members.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ripe females seldom squirt or dribble eggs, like some species. But, they do get swollen bellies when they are ready to dump their eggs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you have filleted a few, and made the connection between colors and gender (eggs or milt), you will find it easier to recognize them in the future.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey DF, after reading your post, and that article, I got to thinking. Smaller and younger males getting involved in spawning activities is nothing unusual among many species...fish and otherwise. Anyone who has fished the west coast knows about the "jack" salmon. These are males of all species of salmon that only stay in the ocean one or two years, instead of the 3-5 years for most salmon. They only weigh a few pounds, unlike the older fish that are several times their size. They run upstream with the "big boys" and often sneak in a "download" next to a spawning pair, while they are in the heat of passion and do not notice the sneaky youngun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have read studies that show that eggs fertilized by the jacks did not show any greater tendency to produce stunted or abnormal fish, with the normal percentage remaining full term in the ocean and returning as average size. So, there is no reason to want to eliminate them and prevent them from spawning. Not sure if that is true of the bluegills or not.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of some jacks (called "chubs" locally) I caught from the lower Eel River, near Eureka, California. These anxious young male chinooks are prime for both catching and eating. They smack lures with a vengeance and have bright red flesh. While "full term" chinooks in this area average 15 to 20 pounds, and may go over 50, the jacks are only about 3-5#, with some up to almost 10#.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10016;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are also some species of lizards that periodically produce small "sneaky" males, that slip in and mate with females while two larger males are fighting over the female.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Heck, this phenomenon is also known amongst humans. They are known as teenage boys.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Do the Jacks die after they make the run with the "big boys" or do they go back to the ocean? I had always thought they returned to sea. (which was why the flavor of the flesh is better than the spawning "adults".)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Steelhead (searun rainbows), searun browns, searun cutts and searun brookies can all return to the ocean after spawning in fresh water. However, all the salmons (chinook, coho, sockeye and chum) will die after their first and only trip back into fresh water. That includes the jacks. They get in a big hurry and it kills them. Kinda like some people.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When salmon make their first and only spawning run, from salt water, their kidney functions reverse to process fresh water and they stop feeding. Their reproductive organs begin to take nutrients out of their formerly healthy flesh to aid the growth of the eggs or milt. That's why the flesh of spawning salmon turns pale and soft. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the time they spawn, there is not much left of them. They get big nasty splotches and fungus all over their skin and it is only a short time until they die. What an ugly end to a once beautiful fish. But, in the greater scheme of things, they do provide food for bears, eagles and other scavengers. And, their rotting carcasses put nutrients back into the water to help build a new food chain for the hatching young. [/#0000ff]
[signature]