Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
noodle rods
i'm getting ready for the spring run of steelhead and have decided to get my first noodle rod . i drift fish below the dams so i know i need a short butt , 2 piece , 9' to 10' long , 1/8 to 1/4 oz wt . 2 to 8 lb. test , with at least 8 to 9 eyelets that won't grove or wear out easiley . any sudjestions on what brands and models to look at ? my price range is under $100.00 and will need a rod that will last a few years . another thing , what is the best fishing line to use for steelhead just after ice-out ?
[signature]
hi lone hunter [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0625162.gif][/center]

win that 16 pic fish contest and there is a hundred buck certificate in it for ya.
[signature]
I drift the Detroit river and run in to all sorts of bottom hazards. Rocks, sticks zebra mussels, trash.

I use a good mono, Berkley Stren or Trilene. 25-30 pound test

Then I use for a primary leader maxis about 8 feet long 20-pound test. This is what I slide my egg sinker on.

Then my secondary leader 15 pound test mono Berkley Stren or Trilene.

This set up will reduce in loss of setups and breaks from hitting hazards on the bottoms. Yet allow the leader to break off if hooked in to a log.
[signature]
well santa brought me a previousley owned ( used ) j. grandt custom built rod . 10'6" , lifetime guarinteed , steeley rod ! now i just gotta find old rudolf so i can get some line for it ! Smile
[signature]
[cool] Lonehunter: Just read your post about looking for an inexpensive noodle rod, for under $100. I don't fish for steelhead--I live in Southern California--but I do fish for big rainbows in our local lakes. These lakes have really clear water and the trout tend to be somewhat lure and line-shy. Sometimes, the only way to catch these brusiers--some over 20 pounds--is to use small minijigs with super light line. To cast these small jigs, you need a long rod--a noodle rod, if you will. I checked all over the internet for an inexpensive long rod, but kept running into high prices and inflated shipping. So I finally went to Ebay, and after a few searches, ended up with a beautiful 9 foot noodle rod that I purchased from [url "http://www.catfishsupply.com"]www.catfishsupply.com[/url] for only $29.00--including shipping. And this is a brand new rod! You might want to check it out.
[signature]
hi klymons ! thanks for the info , i've been on ebay too ! wouldn't you know i was still trying to make up my mind on buying one or trying to build one myself when old saint nick dropped one off at christmas ! i must have been a real good boy this year , it was a coustom built jim grandt rod . it is a " used rod " but it still looks to pretty to fish with ! the rod also came with a unconditional lifetime guarintee , no matter how or why it is broken , they will replace it free + s & h .
i've been to orange county your way , but never had a chance to dangle a line . you sure have some pretty country down that way . would like to see one of thoes trout if your able to post a pic . i'll post some of these fish as i get them . keep in touch ! ( michigan ) and i'll keep visiting your area too !
[signature]
[cool] Lonehunter: Great hook-up from St. Nick! Now you're ready to go mano-a-mano with those bullish steelhead! It's interesting that you mentioned Orange County in your post--that's where the current California state record rainbow was caught--a 26 pounder from the Santa Ana River Lakes. And the guy that caught him was using 2 lb. test! As for steelhead, another pay-to-fish lake in Orange County--Irvine--has started stocking steelheads. I haven't caught any there yet, but I talked to a fellow fisherman the last time I was there, and he said he caught a four pounder that fought like a banshee on steroids! Also, you mention that you live in Michigan--I have never been there but I sure would like to go. Have you ever fished any of the Great Lakes? I've heard that it's almost like ocean fishing. And so many types of fish--salmon, walleye, brown trout, smallmouth bass, yellow perch, etc. Talk about a fisherman's paradise! Anyway, if I catch any noteworthy rainbows, I'll post some pictures. Actually, I did catch an eight pounder at Irvine two weeks ago, but we already had him for dinner. I always forget about taking pictures, but I should. Showing somebody a picture of your latest lunker sure beats just telling about it. Keep in touch and let me know about those steelhead you catch. Keep your drag set right and your line test light!
[signature]
mornin dave never used no noodlerod what is it? and what is that thing you put apicture of? hahahaha mare
[signature]
hey lou (mare ), best way to describe it is a flyrod with regular guides on it and a regular handle . you use light test line 2 to 8 pound test .
the rod itself takes the punishment a big fish gives it instead of the fishing line .
the skill in useing this setup is not about worring if your going to break your line , it's about bringing in the big one before you tire it out , cause that could kill it if your deciding to let it go for another day ( especially thoes mommy to be ones ). hope i helped you to figure it out , your pal lonehunter
[signature]
hey there ol pal of mine, haha that,s what gramp use too say. haha anyways yeah it does help thanks, that must be what the guys were usin when i see em over in pulaski fishin for the good size king salmon huh? i think so. that,s cool sounds fun. i never have fly fished or used one of the noodle rods but looks like it could be fun,. the guys said once they were usin fly fihin poles with 8 pound test and i vouldn,t believe ti. but it had to be the noodle rod. anyways take care. did you have a nice new years. we did we went to our friends house played some pool, had a few, haha went out to lunch today now watchin that movie dune? jack got it on dvd. at the store today. seems good. gonna relax the rest of the night. hahah had it.talk to ya later ol pal of mine. mare[Wink][Smile][laugh]
[signature]
there's nothing like setting down to watching a 6 hour move to make the day go by in a hury.

I saw that move about a dozen times 3 times I stayed up for the whole move.[angelic]

good move I enjoyed it.

the lonehunter was out fishing this morning. He sent me a poleroid a few hours ago and headed back out to the river.

he will post it a little later on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=36;"][size 1]Michigan[/size][/url] board so you can see it.
[signature]
hey there it,s me again haha yeah that,s cool want to see the pictures. i love em. i haven,t got over to my lake in plymouth yet, but i imagine all "the houses are out." hahah we use to have a ball. it was like a little commune haha everybody,d git out on there and i,d cook the hot dogs on the old kerosene stove in the fryin pan on top cook the rolls and have chips and sodies sometimes we,d bring a few, stay all night. it would get to be a ritual every weekend. haha my old laddie john my black lab, loved to go and cliffie too. we made some pull down bunks too so if anybody, meanin cliff i and don, wanted to sleep. it was just like home. i could cook sleep fish not at home, haha but we had a ball.we,d cook the nice smelt there too in butter. i,d keep cookin for the guys when they felt like some. talkin about the smelt, these are 6-8 inches very good, so if you guys want good smelt go there. lake champlain has em but their big, and no where near the type these are. there is really no taste to those on champlain, and remind me of a big goldfish. they are NOT SMELT TO ME. SEE IF YOU GUYS NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE IF YA COME UP THRU. DO BOTH FISHIN AND YOU,LL FIND OUT WHAT I MEAN!. HAHA its echo lake in plymouth. vt. plenty of room for everybody. and safer than most lakes. cause it,s like in a cove. we had food ice there. we use to have alot of downcountries come out and even want to try some. haha they,d give me tips haha that was a good many years ago. now. i got some nice good size rainbows out of there. one time we had to make the hole bigger cause i hooked a good one and couldn,t git him up thru. that one went bout 3 pounds. put the ol boy back in though. i hope lonehunters havin fun, yeah we needed the relaxin after i had 2 christmas,s betwixt jacks three, and mine, 3, well 2 are adopted because they been my kids since i was changin their diapers haha and their mothers grew up with me, so you know, ya got em that long and they become yours too haha.anyways you guys have fun fishin, can,t wait to see how your doin, i,m gonna git my new licence and go rabbit huntin with my little 410 here soon. boy what a crappie day out today -0 with windchill, winds blowin last nite it rained for 5 hrs. then snow this mornin, so made for bad roads for jack to git to work. so will catch you guys later have a good day, mare. oh louie got a new bone for christmas and tigger a mouse. haha
[signature]
lou (mare ) i got to tell you this , i absolutely L-O-V-E reading your postes ! you have a down home way of putting things that paints a picture in my mind of some great times and adventures . there just fantastic ! you keep on writeing like this and i'll keep reading them , over and over ! thanks , lonehunter
[signature]
well sir, ui figure that goes both ways haha ol pal of mine. haha yeah i love writin and love bullin with ya, i ain,t sayin the other word cause the kids might be on, haha so i an,t gonna. wish i could of gone fishin with ya today., was it real cold where your at today? dave writ me told me haha so see i know what your doin anyways haha how do ya like me now??hahahahaha i just bullin. the wind was terrible here today. all day even now. jack said its suppose to rain snow again. tonite.you guys shoukld see this! haha louie and daddy/jack/ are layin on the floor, jacks snorin and louies on his back with his feet in the air snorin.!! hahaha what a picture. only thing is jack don,t have his feet and arms in the air like louie. hahahah jack and i have a harley we go on to laconia nad over to the rodavue in new york every year nad go campin fishin over to yogi bear in laconia and take louie. well, when he was little first got him i started walkin with him in this bag i had i,d put over my shoulders and walk hin so he,d get use to bein in it when it was time to start him goin on the bike with us. he loved it as long as he was with momma. haha he was only 4 months old then. everytime i,d git the bag he knew what we were doin and he can,t wait to go. haha well he,s gooten some much bigger now. and i needed to do somethin cause he just don,t fit no more.haha he,s 14 months now. i,d put the baf on the front of me between me and jack, he,d be out the wind and could cuddle down in if he got cold. well i started makin a new bag or him today. hahaha and i told him he needed to try his bag so i knew how ferr down length wise it was for him. haha ya know that little hound knew what i said. haha he laid right down on it so i could turn him the way i wanted to check it out. he was so funny. and cute.he,s grown so i can,t believe it. haha just like kids ya know. only 4 legged haha the more ya talk to em the more they understand your words. my jake i could think of him and he,d be half sleepin and he,d come to me. i had that with my horeses too. i guess when all ya hang with is animals all your life i guess ya get just like em huh? hhaahah thank you ver much. haha well that,s enough on them. take care. tell me bout the fishin when ya can again. love talkin with ya guys. mare
[signature]
if you want to see his pic click on this link --> [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=7982;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][size 1]fishing report [/size][/url]go to the last page.
[signature]
HEY DAVE THAT WAS A GOOD PICTURE WEREN,T IT. GOOD FISH. I TOLD HIM HE SHOULD TAKE A PICTURE OF HIS NEW POLE HIM THE FISH! HAHA THAT WOULD BE A MEMORY FOR THE KIDS HIM MA. HAHA COOL[cool] THANKS FOR SENDIN IT TO ME. I LIKE SEEIN EM.
[signature]
hey there guy, was it you i see that dave said you like photography? i was up till 2 last nite so i,wans startin to git tired so i wasn,t sure it was you that he said haha. well anyways i love it too. couple years ago i got me nice 35mm i,ve always wanted to git a nice one. got it over to walmart on sale. good price i thought. but i think i would like one of them video camara,s too. with all the fishin tripss on the bike and louie goin we have a good time.i love my nature, probably more than life itself. i guess that just where i found my serenity growin up. nad all thru my life i learned to release the pains of life stresses and just plain hell. but we gain strength there. the solitude of sittin under the ol pine tree listenin to the ol blue jay, my red tail hawk that always followed me, watched over me every time i took my pony for a ride, and laddie john, bordercollie shepard mix beside us. the old pine tree i,d sit under climb it, nad have bucky go under so,s i could jump on his back when he got close. haha how i miss those ddays. i guess when ya look at it, and i look at it i was lucky that way. i don,t think there was any kid in the world that could be as happy as me, i,d take the 22 and the fishin pole my lad hook em on the Saddle well my sleepin bag to and just go. we,d go for a week at a time. god i miss them days. but those are the things i remember when i get stuck in this house and need to release and have peace of mind again, i can sit here and close my eyes and smell the big pine tree hear my hawk blue jay listen to the sound of my brook and hear the mountain talk to me. i can smell the dirt in my ponys neck where he,d rolled that mornin before we went out, i can tste the cool fresh air, and feel the cold water on my feet that rushes down my mountain and just float away in their love. this is what i live for, i,m sorry i git into writin so , ya i do git a little crazy sometime but hese are the things that keep me sane. haha, the four ponies that shared my life learned me the love of life learned to love life with all its good and bads and how to hold onto it, just like my laddie john, jake and all the others in between, i guess i don,t know hew i got started on this haha but maybe that,s what i needed today cause i needed to go to my woods and remember today, it,s a new year. haha maybe i,m just startin it out right. thanks for listenin to this old broad when i git goin, marehahaha have fun fishin today guys i,ll be thinkin of ya.
[signature]
heyd dave sorry i guess arter i think of it i should of put this under the stories huh. i didn,t mean to git goin again. haha mare[laugh][Smile]
[signature]