Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinney Mountain Blues
[center][Image: winner.gif]

[#ff0000][size 1]This Weeks Winners win BigFishTackle.Com T-Shirts.[/size][/#ff0000]

[size 1][#ff0000]Week Ending 12-7-02: [/#ff0000][/size][/center]

If you plan to make a run to Spinney Mountain, in Park County, you better think twice. I was fortunate enough to drive 115 miles just to find out it closed the day before I got there. Low water has caused the lake to ice over a bit sooner than expected. But only by a week or so.

But the good news is you can still hit the South Platte below Spinney, it seems to be flowing well, but as far as above Spinney goes it is frozen. The only draw back would be the frigid hike from Eleven-mile reservoir to the river access. Many anglers I came across immediately jumped back into their vehicle after standing in the cold for only a few moments. Me, I fish until I'm numb, literally. Anything to be on the river, that’s my goal.

While on the subject of Eleven mile, it is fishing well as always, Witcher's cove and wooly bugger, that’s the one to remember. You can even get the occasional pike to shred your tippet in the shallows just before dawn.

I can't say exactly where, sorry it's a personal thing. But in all the South Platte is doing well; bring your subsurface flies, like nymphs or copper johns. As they will offer you help in these cold winter weeks. One last thing if you are in the area I'd try out the south platte above Tarryall. It’s right off the highway and I pulled out a beautiful, strong cutthroat out of there last weekend. C&r of course, hopefully Tarryall reservoir will be open by next summer so theses trout can head home and spawn some more. Well that’s all from me, remember dress in many layers, and don't wipe boogers on your collar, they will freeze up and scratch [size 1]you[/size].-iLL[pirate]
[signature]