Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Trip 8/18 Wednesday Wide Open
Hey there guys,

Rode the Premier today. Jimmy Hon (skipper of the Tradition/formally Pierpoint) was skipper, Mikie on deck, and Eva in the galley. Loaded up 54 anglers and headed out at 6am. Receiver supplied 4-5" chovies for chum with dines mixed in. Burned rubber for SMB! [Image: icon_biggrin.gif]

After a little less than a two hour run, we ended up at Santa Monica Bay's Sandbass City just off of LAX. Most of the fleet were also setting up for a day of fishing. 3/4's of the sporties were Long Beach and San Pedro boats! Lots of PBer's out there fishing and everyone got along great as far as I could see. [Image: icon_cool.gif]

Just good-humoredly goofing off .....

There was this one boat ...... they were less than 100 yards off our starbord. Nice 30 foot boat with a kinda-bimini canvas top with two anglers and rods set out and baits in the water. If you were them ... don't get mad ! But .... barries would run thru their area and you would see almost no reaction.... then bass (3 or 4 at a time) would be up on top slashing bait and still .. little reaction. [Image: icon_confused.gif]

A buddy and I would yell (plead)...... 'They're rushing your boat' and the like to of no avail and no real difference in their efforts to catch fish! Mind you.... that's cool but ..... why did they have their gear out if they weren't fishing? They saw us .... we saw them .... they must have thought us nuts! [Image: icon_lol.gif]

We had the usual morning overcast to later blue skies and sunshine. Had sunshine and a decent breeze the rest of the day. Water color was decent and the current was a little less than Monday. 1-2oz sinkers did the job.... depending on what type of fishing you did.

Unlike Monday, the fish started to both come up the chum line as well as climb up the water column and actually bite on top. Bass and barricuda were actually jumping out of the water! We moved only once the whole day to find even better fishing.

Most anglers fished dropper or reverse dropper loops with 2-3oz torpedo sinkers or 1oz sliding egg sinkers....Carolina rig style for continious action. It didn't really matter what you fished as long as it was bait. [Image: icon_sad.gif] Jealous .... not me!

Plastics were working from the first drop and I got 7 fish within 20-30 minutes. The decent plastics bite then ..just died, croaked, bit the dust, kicked the bucket, passed away, was no-longer-with-us. I fished strictly leadhead and a clear red w/sparkles ribbon-tailed blam as a challenge. I didn't use anything else (excepting leadhead weight change) the whole day. I was able to scratch a few fish during (my lull) until plastic started to pick up fish again about 12:30 or so and it was, once again, wide open for plastics (changed to 3/4oz leadhead from 1/2oz) until we pulled the hook and headed for home.

Once you start to use plastics ..... lots of people just jump on it and abandon bait! I can't imagine why! [Image: icon_razz.gif]

Sandbass average size was again around 14 or 15 inches. Tons of fat 2 or 3 pound fish were caught too. Few real grumpies or fish over 6 pounds for that matter. Everybody had the opprotunity to take a lot of sandbass back home today. 54 passengers for around 475 or so bass and 32 barracuda. My last 3 topwater sandies were close to 4 pounds. For you wise guys ... that's 4lb for each fish! Hooked them way, way back in the chum line! [Image: icon_cool.gif]

Barries were again caught on just about everything you could throw at them. Macks were around but not a problem and sealions messed with the cuda bite as uaual. 32 of the slime sticks were caught. Jackpot .... thaaaaaaaat's riiiiiiight! [Image: icon_eek.gif] 'ed NOT!

Great boat, crew, and fishing that you had to be there to appreciate. Again, fished with lots of guys with familiar faces who fish on a weekly basis. [Image: icon_lol.gif] [Image: icon_smile.gif]

Go while they're still biting,

JapanRon
[signature]