Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
palomino trout
i was looking up some stuff on the web and ran across several species of trout i havent heard of before. they are all genetically engineered fish but i havent seen a decent picture of one yet. one was a palomino trout. has anyone heard of them and has a decent picture or a link to one. and know of any local waters in surrounding states that has a stocking program for them? all of this was mostly in pennsylvania. the other species are a blue rainbow and a blue brown. all engineered but i didnt see a decent picture of them. they explained how they were made but i was curious if there is a place anyone knows to catch them in the western areas? thanks for any info
[signature]
xman,

There are some blue rainbow trout in a trout farm in Smithfield.(just north of Logan) He has a big catch and release pond you can fish. I suggest doing it in winter with a float tube. It gets pretty mossy during other times of the year. The Blue Rainbow that he has is actually something that happens in nature but is very rare. Kind of like an albino. He bumped across it by accident and has just made sure to keep a few brood stock around ever since. It is a recessive gene so if you weren't managing for them and they were released into a wild fishery they would [size 1]disappear[/size] after a few generations. The best way I can describe them is they look just like the blue and white rapalas that you see. Medium to baby blue back with a white belly. It is hard to believe they are a full blood Rainbow. They look like something from the tropics or something. I'm not really big on Albinos or that kind of stuff but this is a cool looking fish and didn't seem to loose it's intelligence like the Albinos.

tightline
[signature]
[cool] The Palomino trout is not a sterile hybrid, but a color strain of rainbow produced by spawning a single uniquely colored rainbow with a regular rainbow. This was first done in West Virginia in 1954. It resulted in what is variously called either a golden rainbow or palomino.

As you discovered, Pennsylvania ia about the only state where any kind of population of palominos exist. If you want to see what the colors look like, here is a link to a site with three pics: [url "http://www.bruchsfish.com/19InchPalominoTroutPedastalPictures.html"][#800080][size 2]http://www.bruchsfish.com/19InchPalominoTroutPedastalPictures.html[/size][/#800080][/url][size 2] [/size]
[signature]
is that the actual color of them trout teroy, yellow with the violet stripe?

I am surprised they did not call it a golden rainbow...
[signature]
im assuming you have caught one? is this a warm spring pond where it stays open in the winter? i am interested in going up there. i don care much for the pay to fish scenario but to catch a unique fish i think that might be worth it. just want a picture and would like to see one. thanks for the info. i knew how they were made but was curious on where one might actually be caught. im suprised that there is somewhere close and glad to hear that. thanks again
[signature]
Yes I have been with friends family who have caught some and it is open water most of the year. I go there with my Nephew once a year and do catch and release before we go out somewhere just so he has a chance to catch a fish and gets the bug out of him so he will have some patience once we hit the river. It is actually a great place to teach someone how to fight a big fish on a fly rod. There are a lot of fish around the 2-7# range. And some big beatiful brookies. If you need directions let me know. When you get a pic you will have to post it or send one over.

tightline
[signature]
Crystal Springs Fishing pond in Ogden has palomino rainbows in their ponds as well as some blue rainbows aswell, i think they said they came from some fish hatcherys and were fed some special food that makes them blue so you could tell they were from the fish hatcherys, not quiet sure, but it has em.
[signature]
yeah im real interested. if you could pm me with the info that would be great. and how much it costs etc.
[signature]