Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Security and Fishing Lisences
[#00bf00]Mr. Moderator, I am not sure exactly where to put this post/ topic. f this section of the website is not the correct place to put this topic, please move this topic and any replies that it may recieve to the appropriate location! Thanks! Joe[Smile][/#00bf00]

I recently came back from going on vacation to Delaware. Being that I like to fish, and brought mty kit with me, I decided to go fishing. I purchased the appropriate fishing lisence, and I was required to provide my Social Security Number. I complied but I was rather disappointed that I had to provide that information.I have never had to provide that information for a hunting or fishing lisence in my home state of Connecticut, and I know from having previously hunted in Vermont that they don't ask for it either. What made me especially upset was that they make you, according to the regulations sited on the 7 day non-resident, wear the lisence extweranlly so that it is visible. That means that anyone can see my Social Security Number (along with the rest of my info). If they are trying to verify that I am who I say I am, by the time Dover ever recieved their copy my lisence would altready have expired. If the intention is as some sort of IDm, dosent that violate the Social Security Act? Why do they ask for that information? What do they plan on doing with it? Does any other state do that. (BTW: I have been able to find out from various lisencing agentds (gun and bait and Wal*Marts stores) that they require it for ALL resident and non-resident hunting and fishing lisences. Also, leaving the field blank IS NOT an option. The agent will bin your application w/o it.

I also believe that this law/policy/ regulation is discriminatory gainst people that visit America (legally) from other countries to hunt and fish. Chances are they don't have an SSN if they are a tourist.l There did not appear to be any option for them. What do the do?
[signature]
it looks like they cant fish,on the license it say "a license cannot be issues unless S.S. number is provided
[signature]
this dose not sound right to me...
michigan ask for your drivers license... no it dose not require you to display your license any more, this dose offer the benifit of the game warden to stop you and check for a license. I my self do wear my license visible but I fold it in such a way that the information is not visible so if some one is standing behind me at mc donalds while looking for a fish sandwich no one can get my info.

it is one thing to ask for your ss number it is another entirly to have to present it to the world for inspection. this is your most valuable number and if some one else gets thier hands on it you are doomed....

I would contact the federal governemnt about having to present your ss number on your back in order to go fishing or hunting.

I had a hard time beleiving that the ss number was asked for and even more so that it would have to be presented for the world to see on your person.

so I went to the licene site to pull up the requirements for obtaining a license and sure enuf it dose ask for it.

the reason they give for asking for it seems valid enuff but it is the presenting it thing that bothers me.

from the looks of this you should be able to have any number on the license you want. and not your ss number

any one wishing to look to see what the license looks like can print a sample copy. My printer is down at the moment so I was not able to see if the ss number is indeed displayed.

[url "https://egov.dnrec.state.de.us/egovpublic/dnrec/disp?doc=publicsubmenu&op=fwlicense"]https://egov.dnrec.state.de.us/egovpublic/dnrec/disp?doc=publicsubmenu&op=fwlicense[/url]

I am with you in thought that it is totaly unreasonable to have to display your most personal info in order to go hunting or fishing.

I do how ever understand their reasons for checking your ss number to see if you are a dead beat spouce.... we have a lot of them here in michigan and they are caught when they attempt to get a drivers license or plates for thier car. they pick them up right at the "dmv" or if they do a mail in they wait for them at the mail box... this how ever dose not mean they will get a dime out of them.....
[center]for any one who is unaware of this here is what they ask for when obtaining a license.[/center]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][blue][size 2]If you want the number of your choice to be printed in the License, you can enter it in the box provided here. You can enter a number between 36000 and 40000.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]License number: [/size][/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][blue][size 2]You can use this License for 7 consecutive days from the "Effective From Date" that you enter here. You can choose the "Effective From Date" between 01/01/2005 and 12/24/2005.[/size][/blue][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Effective From Date:[/size][/font][red][size 2]*[/size][/red] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2][url "https://egov.dnrec.state.de.us/egovpublic/dnrec/disp?doc=shoppingcart&op=Restriction&channel=public&CatalogType=FishAndWildlifePermits&ID=173&LicenseType=HuntingAndFishing&CheckSampleLicensePrintStatus=No#"][Image: calendar.gif][/url] (mm/dd/yyyy)[/size][/font] [font "arial"][size 4]»[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]This is a 2005 Non-Resident 7 Consecutive Day Fishing License that is valid for any seven consecutive days that you select in the box below between January 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005. This Non-Resident license permits you to fish in non-tidal waters of the State of Delaware for all freshwater species. If you want to participate in the Freshwater Trout Season, you will also need to purchase a Non-Resident Freshwater Trout Stamp. [/size][/font] [font "arial"][size 4]»[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]You have two choices with respect to purchasing a Delaware Non-Resident Trout Stamp that permits you to participate in the Freshwater Trout Season. The option of printing it directly on your license is available only when you purchase your fishing license at the same time. If you want it printed on your license, please select to have it printed on your license when the appropriate check box appears EITHER at the bottom of this acceptance OR at the bottom of the Non-Resident Trout Stamp acceptance box (The original will be mailed to you after the Trout Season closes). If you would prefer to have it mailed, do not check the box. [/size][/font] [font "arial"][size 4]»[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]A Social Security Number is MANDATORY and must be supplied when purchasing a fishing license as per Statuatory authority of the Delaware Division of Child Support Enforcement. [/size][/font] [font "arial"][size 4]»[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Licenses are not valid if any part of the printed license or tag is missing. In the event that you loose your license or your license did not print please contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife at (302) 739-5841 during normal working hours for replacement protocols. [/size][/font] [font "arial"][size 4]»[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]By agreeing to the terms of this statement, you are certifying that you are providing a valid social security number, that your information is correct and accurate, that you understand that you may not copy any license or stamp, you may not print more than one copy of a license or stamp and that you understand that falsification of information on this application is a violation of Title 7, Section 516, Delaware Code. This code reference will be printed when you purchase your license through this system. [/size][/font] [font "arial"][size 4]»[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]In order to avoid fraud through copying or printing multiple licenses, an XX- XX-XX encryption code is printed on each license or stamp that you purchase. This code is unique to each license holder and is capable of being translated by an enforcement agent if you are checked in the field. [/size][/font]
[signature]
I contacted the state of DE and found out that it is required by federal law since they revoke the sporting licenses of deadbeat (ex)spouses. Makes since, not that I agree with it. I know that in Connecticut, when they send the judicial marshalls to round 'em up, it turns in to a nice made for tv show, but they need to be releaed in a short manner because of lack of cells. Also, non-SSN holders are able to get a license after they apply for a special ID number form the stare. They estimate it effects 5 visitors (from other countries) per year. They also assured me that my information was secure. (I'm so much happier) I heard Georgia requires it too.
[signature]
I am all for locating dead beat spouces. but I too do have to wonder about some of this.

to some it is a sport no doubt but to others it is a means of placing food on the dinner table. I mean if some one is out there on a 10,000 bass boat and hasnt paid child suport then I agree, but if they are standing there over the edge of a bridge trying up pull up dinner then I think it is a shamefull act on the governments part. especialy in todays acconomy.

in the state of michigan where we have to give our drivers licnese or state ID but to get those we have to give our social security number. so they dont need our soc number at the fishing and hunting license desk, the state already has it....

I also would have to ask the the person who is selling me the license is bonded as well for my safety. this is a good question for you to put to the state. how else would the state protect you agains identity theft? I would have to ask the person selling me my licene to show me his bonded license so I could sleep at night.
[signature]