Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grouse Hunt Sept 10th Who is going????
My favorite time of the year has arrived. Time to break out the scatter guns and chase some mountian chickens.

Just wondering who is heading out this year and area they will be hunting (general area I dont want your secret spot).

I usually hunt up on the Strawberry Ridge area and I am never disappointed. This year I am heading down south by the FishLake area to hunt and also spend some time find a deer to shoot on the smokepole hunt.

Good Luck to everyone and if you get a chance head out and shoot some doves to brush up on the shooting skills.
[signature]
I'll be heading out on opening day up near Strawberry. I LOVE grouse hunting! It really gets you up hiking in beautiful country. Pheasant is always down in farmland that isn't nearly as wild or beautiful, and it's way too crowded. I can go hunt grouse, see beautiful scenery, and almost always come back with a few birds if not a full limit.
[signature]
I'll be up logan canyon.. The grouse have may a hugh comeback over the last few years up there..
Remeber to bring a dog those things hold worse than pheasants..
Jethro
[signature]
I'm realatively new to the area, does any one know any good areas in the eastern uintas; Jordanelle, Kamas, Mirror lake area. I see a ruff grouse around jordanelle from time to time, but not really what I would concider a huntable population. I've got a lab, she doesn't really know what her nose is for, but she stays close (after an initial energy burst) and covers alot of ground. Opening weekend is bad for me, but after that I'm up if anyone wants to hook up and go.
[signature]
Really? I've never hunted with a dog and almost always do quite well. I've never had problems flushing them, and more often then not I see/notice them before they notice me. I hunt where the understory isn't too thick to move through and see at least a little ways through, so I usually can sneak up on them enough, but I've never had one flush closer than about 15 feet from me.
[signature]
I'm headed for the Strawberry ridge area as well although I have never hunted that area before. I & two of my friends have December Diamond Fork anterless elk tags and figured the grouse hunt would be an excellent opportunity to get a feel for the "lay-of-the-land". I will take my trusty Brittany "Cheetah" who has been feeling very deprived since her final hunt last November. Mr. J.
[signature]
I'm hopin' to be up chasing some pine hens come Saturday. Might have to sell a kidney to afford the gas though....[Sad]
[signature]