Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp?
I have heard of the Carp in Blackfoot reservoir fo a long time and would love to go get them with a couple friend this next Monday. I need some directions to the lake and what areas are best for carp. Also, if anyone could give me some info as what to use I would really appreciate it. Does Blackfoot Res have a lot of carp, or is it the only place around to get them? If anyone could give me any info, I would greatly appreciate it.
[signature]
I wrote a response to a similar question about a month ago.
Here's a link.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=212824"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=212824[/url]
I would be a good idea if you bring a map if none of you have been to Blackfoot Reservoir before. From Idaho Falls the best route to Blackfoot Reservoir is the Bone Rd. The Bone Rd is about 10 miles East of Idaho Falls and can be accessed several different ways. Once your on the Bone Road it will be close to an hour drive. Make sure you have enough gas and a spare tire.
IMO there aren't very many carp in Blackfoot right now because of the drought. The reservoir is low so the carp should be concentrated enough to keep you busy. I mostly sight fish for carp. If you can't spot carp in the area try somewhere else. You might also want to bring some large treble hooks to use if the carp aren't bitting the way you want them to.[Wink]

The Blackfoot River below the dam has a decent population of carp. The Snake river starting a little ways downstream of Idaho Falls, American Falls Reservoir, Alexander Res, Onieda Res, Bear River, Portnuef River as well as many other places West of Pocatello have carp.
[signature]
Thank you very much for the info, I found that response right after I posted this.
[signature]
Good luck tomorrow. Catching a big carp on a fly is a real challenge. I hope you have plenty of backing in your fly reel.
[signature]