Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay
[Smile]fished willard today caught fish everywhere. Was pretty slow ended up with ten wipers no walleye. Does anybody know where the walleye can be caught?
[signature]
Ten wipers is not a slow day at Willard. No fish is a slow day at Willard -- you can trust me on this one!
[signature]
We got 14 today, one was a small eye. Since the shad minnows have came on, the walleye bite has really died off. The catching will improve when the minnows are thinned out but that might not be for a while. In years past that can be from the end of Oct to the end of Nov. We were marking a fair amount of what could have been walleyes, close to the bottom in several locations. WH2
[signature]
I fished Willard on the 1st, we caught 9 wipers in ~3 hours. They took Shad Rap 5's, but not Hot-N-Tot's like before. Took a while to figure it out, as we fished the first 1 1/2 hours without a bite. Tried Thin Fins too, without results.

Lots of surface activity, with wipers chasing shad and birds diving into them. Seems like everything loves shad. We were marking schools of shad near the surface mostly, occassionally submerged. Caught no walleye, they're probably laying on the bottom burping now.

Here's a picture of shad at the surface:
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Thats an interesting picture, how did you take it? Thats the secert at Willard, find what will work and then find the feeding fish. Some times you mark the fish but they aren't interested. Just about every time out we catch a few on lures that did not work the time before. WH2
[signature]
I took that with a digital camera, and edited it on photoshop. It's my Lowrance X16 paper graph, an oldie but a goodie. Up until this last generation of finders with 480 verticle pixels, it was better than anything on the market.

Here's another picture, this one is a herring ball off the west coast of Washington's Olympic Peninsula. Note that it stretches from 60 feet to 140 feet. That's a lot of herring.
[signature]
I thought maybe you had done some editing on that picture when I couldn't see the anything around it. I'm surprised in that second picture there isn't a few big fish chasing that ball of shad. WH2
[signature]
Just thought I'd try to post a picture to see how it looks. This is from Willard the other night, and is my friends' first trip to the bay:

[inline "Wally and Wiper.JPG"]
[signature]
Congrats on the wipers and I see you have the pics down for posting . Thanks for posting it . One thing I learned the hard way was to always remove lure from fish before holding fish . I hate pulling hooks out of myself , but I have lots of practice at it too . That pic looks like a accident waiting to happen .
[signature]