Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, Sept 4
Launched from S. Marina at 6:30 AM. Worked the bank in the marina and in the channel. Caught one wiper in the channel. Boated to the S.E corner and worked the rocks for catfish with no hits. Boated to the middle east dike with same results. The wind was causing really bad waves so decided to try the south dike west of the S. Marina.

as I got a few 100 yards from the south dike (first corner west of marina) I saw active birds diving and then saw wipers chasing shad. hit the WIPERLOAD! Caught 5 more wipers. Shad were bee-lining for the shore at over 2 miles and hour making it difficult to keep up with them on the electric trolling motor. When they were nearly to the bank they split, some going East and some going West. Then as quick as the feeding had started, it ended. I put on a drop-shot rig that I had read about hoping to entice a walleye that might be hanging below the feeding wipers. I used a plastic minnow four feet above the weight. I caught another wiper on it. All wipers except one were in the 4-5 lb zone.

Fished the west dike to the light pole for cats with no hits. Ended the day with 7 wipers. Released all but one that was hooked to deep. Most fish were caught with a blue and white lipless crank.
[signature]
Nice report finhunter, it's always nice to catch a wiper by casting to it. Every once in a while you can catch walleye, smallmouth, even perch and crappie but that usually happens when the boils are really going. WH2
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Ahhhhhh, the Boils, the diving birds. You got to love getting into them. Can't seem to cast fast enough.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I'm heading up to Willard in the morning. I usually troll up there. What do you guys cast to them? I thought maybe I'd try an 1/8 ounce jig with a 3" Kalin grub in blue pearl if I see boils.
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Nice report. Glad you were able to find a boil and get into the Wipers. Sounds like fun! [Smile]
[signature]