Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 9/6/05
Had a slow day today, fishing from 11:45 till 4:30. Not my favorite time of day, as the sun is too strong. We caught a total of 3 wipers, all towards the end when I put on Thunderstick Jr.'s. They didn't want Shad Rap 5's or 7's, Hot-N-Tots, Wally Diver's, etc. No boils, very few birds diving, and no walleye.

We trolled through some of that algae on east side, are you sure that's turnover? I thought that turnover occors when the surface water cools to below the temp of the deeper water. Whatever that stuff was, it seemed to be gone by the time we came back in.

Anybody know why they closed the cleaning station?
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Spent a long day on Willard - on at 10 off at 8. Started good with a couple nice wipers trolling on the north side. Marking lots of fish and then nothing. While heading towards the feed lot a few birds started diving but no surface action. Made a few casts and got two more wipers. I'd like to thank the list member who speaks highly of the holographic blue rattlin raps - they worked well. First time I've used them. The second wiper caught casting broke the tip of my brand new light action rod and it wasn't that large! We got four more with the best action after 7 west of the island. Just curious, what preferences do people have for rods (brand, length, action, etc.) for trolling and/or casting?
[signature]
I use a 7' medium heavy rod, it might be a little heavy but I've never had a wiper brake one. I can't say that for the lighter rods I used when I first started fishing for wipers. WH2
[signature]