Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba EYES
When will the DWR replant EYES in Yuba?? Sounds like the perch are starting to establish themselves especialy with this last years water.
[signature]
[cool]I'd guess in a year or two, but this sounds like something you might want to e-mail Tom pettingil(sp?) the head fisheries biologist for the DWR about.

By the way, I've seen evidence (pictures taken last fall) that there's still a few 'eyes that made it or came down from the river that are STILL in there. Fortunitely (to my knowledge they were RELEASED, too) There's a few in there roaming around. Let's hope that they are doing their best to reproduce until the DWR decides to help them out!
[signature]
I caught and released 2 walleye this spring at Yuba. We were fishing the main channel up by the power lines. One was 20" and looked to be a spawned out female the other was a 11". Both looked healthy.

I think Yuba is fine for now. There are rainbows for sport, perch will soon be back in numbers and hopefully size in a few years and Walleye will follow. No stocking will be needed. The stocking was done with the perch, when they balance out with the walleye all will be well at Yuba.
[signature]
Its nice to know a few EYES survived maybe its a good thing the DWR doesnt plant them so the perc can restablish in good numbers.
[signature]
Thats what my thoughts are. By getting the perch going first hopefully the walleye and perch will grow in balance with each other until the carrying capacity is met.
[signature]
Speaking of perch there seems to be perch everywhere now .And it wont take long for them to grow big .If anyone has been to yuba when it was drained then you know how much cover there is now for the perch to hide.The problem with yuba in the past has been lack of cover for the perch to hide and grow to reproduce.Imagine yourself in the desert and being chased by tigers with nowhere to hide! Thats why the perch crash. and then folowed by walleyes.Between the pike ,walleyes , carp ,catfish and humans the perch never had a chance to sustain themselves in great numbers without cover.
[signature]