Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday the 13th on Bear Lake
I don't blindly practice C&R. Instead, I think we anglers can be the DWR's strongest, most effective management tool. As Pred said, many lakes need certain species and/or sizes of fish thinned. Deer Creek is overrun with small SMB. We can help the lake produce bigger SMB by harvesting those under 12". Or we can help save the overpopulated Starvation walleyes by catching and keeping our limits. Likewise, perch have stunted at Pineview and need thinning. But perch need to be left alone at Yuba to reestablish their population and the walleyes (which needed thinning a couple of years ago). Wayne Gustaveson at Lake Powell has struggled to get anglers to start keeping fish, both stripers and SMB. And the lake is starting to benefit from it.

So I feel the decision to kill or release a fish should be based on what that particular body of water needs. If you read In-Fisherman, they call it selective harvest. It requires a little more work to educate yourself to each body of water. But the fisheries biologists make themselves accessible and are willing to help educate dummies like me. And the end result is better fishing for all of us: fish for the table and trophies for the wall.

As for whether to keep or release a trophy, there's no shame in keeping a once-in-a-lifetime fish. But for the most part, I release the big walleyes, lake trout, etc. Even, as the biologist stated, if it might not grow much more, I or other anglers might get to catch it again. And to me, that’s why I fish—to hopefully catch a few big boys (or girls).

As for BLM's equation, you left out the fact that Bear Lake is an oligotrophic water, which is a contributing factor to the growth potential of the fish and total lake biomass. Also, there’s how each water is managed. I would like to see Strawberry managed as a trophy fishery, but the DWR manages it as a family fishery.

Messages In This Thread
Friday the 13th on Bear Lake - by Old_Coot - 12-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Re: [PREDATOR] Friday the 13th on Bear Lake - by DennisW - 12-17-2002, 12:17 AM