Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under water cameras?
[size 2]I too bought an AquaView, their first with IR lights. And I too was disappointed with its limitations. Since I'm a scuba diver, I expected to see as well as when I dive. But most of the time you won't see fish until they about bump into the camera. And with the IR lights, you could see in complete darkness. But using them underwater was like driving in a blizzard with your headlights on bright--it reflects all the light off the suspended particles back into your eyes.[/size]

[size 2]But I used the camera to learn about structure, identify species of fish shown on sonar, determine bottom type, etc. In short, they can be a great educational tool. But don't plan on fishing when you're using it (expect when ice fishing).[/size]

[size 2]Like Kent, I tried using the downrigger attachment and found it about worthless. Again, I had high expectations and wanted to use it at Flaming Gorge. But you couldn't get very deep because there was so much drag on the video cable that it caused too much blowback.[/size]

[size 2]After I sold mine I went ice fishing with WalleyeBob last winter and during a slow spell I dropped his camera and saw perch everywhere, but none would bite. There was an older guy there who wanted to look at it, but he couldn't see the fish. After about 5 minutes of cussing about not being able to see a single fish, he finally saw them. He was trying to see small fish farther away, but all the fish looked huge since there were inches from the camera. It was pretty funny when he finally saw them, but it also shows that it's hard to have perspective on what you see.[/size]

[size 2]As for video recorder attachment points, you can do it with the AquaView, but I'm not sure about some of the other brands. I'm glad I cashed out when I did, but sometimes wish I still had it.[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Under water cameras? - by RainbowSparkle - 12-17-2002, 02:49 AM
Re: [RainbowSparkle] Under water cameras? - by DennisW - 12-17-2002, 04:54 PM