Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River/Cache Valley
How's Cache Valley been fishing lately? I had to take a couple months off for the arrival of our little girl, but now that she is 6 weeks old and the routines seem to be stabilizing I'm getting the bug to try it again this week. Would really like to hit the Bear for cats and walleye but am open if others have any better suggestions. Anyone done any good on the Bear in Cache Valley this summer?
[signature]
fished the logan river about 6 times in late aug. caught about 50 fish on rapalas.
[signature]
I put in some decent time on the Bear and only caught a couple - but I don't know what I am doing. I fished Cutler at Benson Marina and the Bear by the church in Benson.

I had hoped to learn more information on this post, but replies have been a little scarce.
[signature]
Hey Hash,

I actually had pretty good success at both the church and the marina earlier this year. I've caught walleye, cats, carp, and even a bluegill at both locations. At the marina it was mostly mud cats and a few surprise walleye. The church yielded a lot more channels and walleye both. If you want #'s or are taking the kids the marina does well. I've used nightcrawlers, and chicken liver with great success for quick action on mudders. I was fishing right were the water goes under the bridge on the north side. I would cast out as far as I could making sure the bait hit in the current coming under the bridge, then it would bump along til it reached the slack water seam. I hit a lot of fish in that seam, in fact all the walleye I got there were in that seam. The walleye were taken on a chunk of carp meat tipped with half a shrimp while I was hoping to entice some larger cats. Over by the church it seemed the key to success was finding the fish. There are several pronounced holes as you follow the course of the river (evidenced by forked sticks left by me and other anglers). It seemed like if I didn't catch a fish in 15-20 minutes then I would move, when I finally hit a hole that produced there tended to be good action in that hole for a while. I fished almost exclusively with carp meat and shrimp here and occassionally a worm. Whenever I did use worms I was able to catch carp pretty regularly, but I also got a couple of walleye on them as well as the carp meat.

Don't know if that gives you the kind of info you were looking for, and of course all that success was before July and this is the first year I've fished the area so I have no idea how it may change in the fall. I'm hoping to hit it tommorrow AM or Friday AM I'll post up if I do.
[signature]
I'm guilty of being a lazy fisherman - I usually find a spot and don't ever move. Thanks for the advice. I had almost given up on using carp as bait. I have yet to catch something with it.

What basic technique do you like to use at the church? The current seems to fast for leaving the bail open and too slow for drifting the bottom.
[signature]
i made my weekendly rounds up to cutler.. that place is hit and miss, but i did get out 3 large channels out of benson.... one was 4 and the others were around 5 i did hook one early in the year that broke 14lb test. i also caught a 5 lb walleye on a spinnerbait fishin for bass.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey what were you using for the cats? Have you seen alot of walleye coming out of there?[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
a good # of walleye... my dad got an 8lb walleye at benson fishin for cats..... he caught it on beef liver.!!! i use carp meat ... although frozen chubs are my favorite. i have also caught alot of green sunfish, bluegill, and a 3lb brown trout!! i caught that on a worm fishin for early season cats around april.. and the largemouth they are the ghost of the lake.. i have only caught 2 and both were over 2lbs
[signature]