Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
young utah bassmasters story on tv
hey this is something cool I think needs more support.
[url "http://kutv.com/outdoors/local_story_280174322.html"]http://kutv.com/outdoors/local_story_280174322.html[/url]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey that's pretty neat. The one kid his first time, and the other the second time. Hope they have a good tournament and win. That's crazy 2 kids representing our state.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Great story Moose! I know both Zach and Casey, they are very good kids, and we wish them the best of luck! I wish there would of been a program like that when I was a Kid!
[signature]
Article Last Updated: 09/29/2005 10:20:05 AM
Fishing: Storey aims for a power play at Bassmaster tournament
[url "mailto:brettp@sltrib.com"][#000000]Brett Prettyman
Tribune Columnist[/#000000][/url]
Power fishing.
It is not a new term used to describe anglers fond of using Captain America Power Bait.
It is a bass angling term and what North Ogden angler Casey Storey credits for his success during the recent Utah Junior Bass Championship series.
"I'm always thinking big. I'm into power fishing - jerk baits, flipping and pitching," said the soon-to-be-15-year-old.
Translated, that means Storey enjoys using heavy line and big lures and making a lot of casts over a lot of water.
Storey prefers [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [url "http://sltrib.com/search/ci_3070600#"][Image: 2005928__fea_page2middle_0929~2_200.jpg][/url] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] Casey Storey of Ogden holds the fish that made him the Utah Junior Bass champion in the 15-18 age class. (Courtesy of Adrian Alexander ) [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif]the monster hit. Finesse anglers, on the other hand, specialize in the light bite.
Seeking that big bite helped Storey land a trip to Kissimmee, Fla., in February to represent Utah in the 15-to-18-year-old age class at the Junior Bassmaster World Championship, sponsored by Bassmasters.
Storey was tied with his cousin at the conclusion of the last tournament; it took a 4-pound largemouth he landed at Pineview to crown him the champ.
Joining Storey in Florida, and representing his state in the 11-14 age class for the second time in six months, is Salt Lake angler Zach Alexander.
While Alexander looks to improve his finish from this past August, Storey is looking forward to participating in what he feels is a long-overdue opportunity.
"If I had been able to show up for one more tournament and caught one more fish [this past spring], I would have qualified for the last championship, but I had a double-header for baseball and couldn't do both," Storey said.
Storey and Alexander will get a chance to pre-fish for their tournament with pros who will be competing in the Bassmaster [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif]
Advertisement [Image: pageid=97460306??] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif]Classic later the same week.
Storey, being a power guy, is hoping to fish with current Bassmaster Classic champion Kevin VanDam or the Loudmouth Angler, also known as Mike Iaconelli.
"It will kind of make me feel like I'm on the tour or something. It will be cool to meet some of the pros," he said. "I'd also like to win some of that scholarship money."
This will be Storey's second trip to Florida in 10 months, courtesy of Bassmasters. He was in Orlando in April competing in the Casting Kids national semifinals as the champion in the 11-14 age group. He managed to sneak in a little fishing while there and hopes the experience will help land him on the podium in February.
The Utah Bass Federation, sponsors of the Utah Junior Bass Championship, is paying for the two boys and one of their parents to get to Kissimmee.
The federation will be holding a fundraising tackle sale Oct. 29 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Classic Catering, 7857 S. 1530 West, West Jordan.
Items can be donated to Curt Cochran, youth coordinator for the federation, by calling him at 801-949-7187.
brettp@sltrib.com
[signature]
UTAH HAS MANY KIDS FISHERMEN THAT KICK TAIL. THEM BOYS ROCK. I HAVE A 9 YR OLD BOY IN THAT KICKS SOME WALLEYE BUT... HE SWIMS A JIG SO GOOD RIGHT NOW MY BUDDIES AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE HIS GROWTH IN THE NEXT COUPLE YRS. AND IM SURE SOME OTHERS HERE HAVE KIDS THAT ROCK TAIL AS WELL RIGHT NOW. REMMEMER THE KIDS DESERVE TO GO AS MUTCH AS YOURSELF. PASS ON WHAT YOU KNOW NOW SO YOUR KIDS WILL BE BETTER THAN YOURSELF AT A MUTCH YOUNGER AGE INSHURING SUCCES....
[signature]