Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Report
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]My neighbor (Mark) has been begging me to go to Powell, and so I took him up on it, he braught his 13yr old son (Kyle) along too. We left mid morning Thursday the 6th, got to Powell before dusk, Quick grabed a camp spot. Then headed out on the boat for some Sun-set Fishing. As you know, it was beautifull, almost no breeze to speek of, I had on a long sleve T-shirt only. Got to a good looking spot, cut the engine and while the others went to tossing Kastmasters, I rigged up a Go-To lure jig plastic, and within less than the first 30 minits I was landing "Striper" was a great feeling, then within the second hour I had "Mr. Walleye" on and in the boat. by now it was plenty dark so we gps our way back in. Once back at the dock, a meture fellow ask how I did, I told him I'd got Striper and Walleye, he eyes opened wide, "I've been fishing this Lake for years hunting that elusive "Walleye". I didn't have the hart to tell him, I'd landed it in under the first two hrs tonight.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] Up early and on the lake fishing before 7:00am on day two, I targeted smally's (smb), I had great success, in fact it got to the point that if I (B,C,) didn't have 2 in the live-well within the first two minets, the other guy's would move on to a new honey hole. On day 2 they nicked named me the Bassmaster, cause if I couldn't catch 'em they weren't there to be had.[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] All in all I had a great time, I shared some of my go to plastic tubes so all was landing fish. All had Smiles [Smile] That makes for a good trip. Saw only (1) boil, I feel the water has cooled & the shad has headed up streem, Many a fisherman came in skunked at the end of the day. I think the fish Gods were with me, I limited out on smalley's daily. "To much Fun".[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] Fished early am on day (3) Sat. for 4 hrs. all landing smalleys then loaded up the boat and headed for home, by now the clouds were blackining and wind pick'n up. For our 3-day fish'n trip we had warm nice weather, no wind, no rain, in fact we slept under the stars. Totally "Awsome".[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"] Sounds like an awsome fishing trip on the warm waters of Powell.

However, I heard a rummor that, even though you did fantastic with the smallies, the REAL BIG one got away. Come on BC, let's hear the story .......[/font][/size]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey BC sounds like you guys had a great trip to powell. Are you sure that is a walleye or just the state record perch?[Tongue] Way to go dude. Awesome trip.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Yes Scott, your right, I even caught Perch. I labled my pics backwards, [unsure] sorry. But I did land "Walleye".[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] As for "The Big One" that story, Old Coot; will have to wait till next trip while we sit arround the campfire at Powell. My hart can't handle the thaught of loosing a 30lb Striper today.[Sad][Sad]. But lesson's well taught by that Big Daddy!! [/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
You say you caught perch at Powell?
[signature]
Great report Terry, sounds like a fun trip. Hey Ralph, what happened to your plans to go to Powell?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]WH2, I allowed some "family stuff" to de-rail me from the trip. But next year you can bet I'll be there. Last year I had to cancel a great trip to the Gorge due to last minute work stuff. This year family stuff took presidence over Powell. Bout time I got my priorities straight.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
Good report.. And great to here you guys had nice weather. Its always nice when the W isnt a problem..

Yeah its rough when those old locomotives dont play fair, or perhaps, the smallest thing was over looked allowing them to be released a tad to sooner than expected. Their not as easy to come by at P as they once were so loosing one now days really hurts!
[signature]
Thats too bad but like you said there is always next year. Before your plans got changed, did you find any good lodging?
[signature]
You limited out on smallies?? You kept 20 per day [x3=60fish]?? I wondered why there isn't any good fishing around Bullfrog.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I had planned to stay at ticaboo lodge ([/black][/font][url "http://www.ticaboo.com/"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]http://www.ticaboo.com/[/black][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]). I have stayed there before and it was plenty good. I'm thinking that the "trailers" might be even better with a larger group. But that would take some more study on my part.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]No "loomislover", we did catch smb, but we put our gear and buts in the boat & headed up to Escalanty, leaving you all the smb you can have off of Mokie wall, easy fish'n, left for you.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 3] We were targeting Stripers, anything else was just fix'ns for the fry pan at night. [Smile] Tons of smalleys with your name on 'em still at Bullfrog, Go get some. [sly] enjoy:[/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
By trailers do you mean the family units? It looks like that would be the way to go, with the kitchen unit and three bedrooms that would be a nice set up if you were planning on staying several days. Have you talked with these guys before Ralph?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sounds like a good trip with cooperative weather. I've yet to go there and not fight wind 80% of the time. [/size][/black][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So Terry, just how well did you guys do on the stripers in three days of fishing? How many ended up in the box? What techniques did you use besides plastics?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]BLM, The best answers for last weekend is this: The roomer-mill was Kastmasters 3/4oz to 1oz, bigger the better, so I took both sizes. Man I'll tell ya what, I personally threw everything possiable in the arsonal box!! Heavy Kastmasters, Chovie-dogs, Topwater, Topwater, Topwater; Even trolled deep, still notta!! compaired to the pumpkin tube! I had 8 -12 times more hits off of that jig by far!! than any other :: It got bites from all spices, and oddley enough size didn't mater, but color did. It was a deep crappy green. I didn't target carp, My goal was for stripers, anything else was a plus. Brown plastics didn't produce the bites, Green was the go to color. I landed Striper, Walleye, Perch, & smb, all from jigging the green. The big boys were all deep. 120 - 170ft. deep.[/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
The trailers are great if you have 6 to 10 people some need sleeping bags the price is around 110 per night give or take $.
[signature]
I recently inquired about the trailers and the price is about $150 per night plus tax. I don't know if there is an off-season rate.
[signature]
I go down their in march an april and oct. to dec. but it has been a year or two sense I stayed their.
[signature]