Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake is RED HOT & rockpile construction info
[font "Arial"][black][size 3]Fishing at Bear Lake
Thursday, October 13, 2005

The seasonal weather has cooled lake temperature, and lake trout fishing on Bear Lake has been red hot this week and should continue to be excellent for the next two weeks or so. We talked to some anglers earlier this week who boated 15+ quality fish per day. Please use the limited resources wisely and release those fish you don't intend to eat. By far the best luck has come from those who are trolling with flatfish, large spinners and rattling minnow-type lures. Fishermen are fishing off of the Boy Scout Camp on the east side, South Eden, Cisco Beach, off the Utah State Park marina in Garden City. Some anglers are also picking up some nice lake trout and cutthroat trout off the "rockpile" area by jigging with tube jigs tipped with cisco. The fish are being caught a wide range of depths (35-85 feet) so you may want to try one depth and then keep experimenting and moving to different depths until you find some active fish. The fish really aren't feeding at this time, but hitting the lures out of aggression prior to their spawning season. The weather has been excellent for fishing with no wind this entire week and it makes a difference of how well you can follow a particular trolling line.

The UDWR is currently working on a project to place four piles of rock approximately 200 yards apart starting just north of the Utah State Park Marina to improve fish habitat. The rock is being placed at approximately 30 feet in depth (the same depth as the top of the existing "rockpile" off of Gus Rick Point). A large barge is being used to transport a full-loaded dump truck and then it towed to a GPS location and then the rock is dumped. The operation will affect fishing off the State Park marina during the next two weeks due to the boat/barge traffic, but will benefit both the fish and fishermen in the long run. The rock placement will occur from Monday-Friday until it is completed and no work will be done on the weekends. This habitat effort to benefit the endemic fish as well as sport fish is being funded by the Blue Ribbon Fisheries Initiative. Doug Miller (Channel 2) will be filming this project and it will be on his upcoming Saturday, October 29th show.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 3]
The Cisco Beach boat ramp is available for launching all sizes of boats, but you need to make sure you keep an eye on the weather since there is no protection from the wind if you choose to launch at Cisco Beach. The State Park marina has plenty of depth and is open to launching all sizes of boats, but please give the right-of-way to the barge and tow boats entering and leaving the marina. Beach launching smaller boats is going to be difficult this year due to the increased water levels. The water has inundated the shallow shelf along the western Bear Lake shoreline and it is difficult to beach-launch boats this year. The current lake elevation is 5907.8' (approximately 4.5' higher than last year at this same time)[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the update!
[signature]
Thanks for the report and update, will they have the GPS numbers avaliable to the public for the new rock piles ?? later chuck
[signature]
I'll be up on the big blue this weekend with MGB. with these latest reports I can't wait to catch my first of many Macks.
[signature]
Hi Scott, hey that is fantastic news. I will be up there tommorrow for the day with Old Coot. I was wondering how things were up there. Looks like we are going to have a blast. looking forward to the first trip to the Mighty Bear Lake.

AFDan52
[signature]
Yes, the GPS coordinates will be public knowledge. Doug Miller has recorded them and will broadcast them or put them on his webpage.
[signature]
My advice to you is: East Side. I talked to several boats today who fished around the marina and off the rockpile and it was slow. Why? Off the marina we were making lots of noise with barge traffic, etc. The guys fishing the rockpile, just like last fall, are reporting slower fishing.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Never been to Bear Lake. Sounds like I'm missing out.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
The man-made rock piles sounds like a great idea. Hopefully they draw fish as theorized. I like Bryce's idea of naming them after each of the native species in the lake: cutthroat, cisco, whitefish and sculpin.
[signature]