Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with the drags on Daiwa reels
I own several Daiwa line counter reels. I like the reels, except that I have always had problems with the two Accudepth 17LC models. The one reel has an accurate line counter and the other one is off about 100% (for example if I am vertically jigging in 30 feet of water the one reel registers 30 feet of line out, and the other registers 58 feet of line out -- both reels have 8 pound Cajun Red monofilament line on them). This is an annoyance, but the other problem I have with both reels is much more frustrating. On both reels I can set the star drags at just the right amount of tension that I want, only to have the drags release on their own, especially when I set the hook. We aren't talking about the drags just loosening a little, we are talking about having to turn the drag many revolutions before I have any drag at all! I have not taken the reels apart; however, short of doing that I can not see anything that one could adjust to alleviate this problem. Any suggestions?
[signature]
It sounds like the drag is either A...worn out or B....has been introduced to a forein substance such as oil, grease, sand or similar.

It wouldn't hurt to take the reel apart from the handle side by removing only the handle and necessary screws, nuts and washers that hold the handle on.

The drag washers should be right inside the raised portion under the handle. Be sure that the right amount of wave washers, flat washers and fiber washers are there, clean and in their appropriate order.

You can refer to the exploded diagram that came with the reel or find one on the Diawa website.

If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks Steve. I contacted Daiwa and ordered two sets of drag washers. The odd part about it is I purchased both of these reels new and they both had the same identical problem with the drags right out of the box.
[signature]
I would say your depth reading is off because of the diamiter of line you are using. thicker line will require more revolutions to get down to the same depth as thinner lines will, I beleive you will see just the oposite readings if you use a thiner diamiter line.

as for the star drag, I have seen this on a number of different type of reels. if you still have your assembly print, try ordering new washers for the drag assembly. this should take care of the problem.

on the open face reels you have to replace the "rubber - enylon - or clean the stanless steel" washers under the dial drag that is on the spool.

depending on the modle you have a similar setup under the star drag. it may have gotten gritty with sand or silt if it had ever fallen or been dipped in the lake or river...

at any point my grandpa said if it works dont fix it, if it dosnt what have ya got to loose? if ya can fix it great if ya cant ya get some one else who can or replace it.... nothing last for ever....
[signature]
I guess I should have kept reading, chances are good that the spring stainless steel washers that go under the drag were of the wrong gage or the tencle sthrenth of the spring was sub tollarance.

this is not all that suprising a poorly tempered stock of washers could be dumped in to a perfectly good tempered washers. poor quality controll at the foundry would be to blame....

none the less I would like to hear if you got it working up to standard after you have it reassembled. Good Luck....
[signature]
Thanks for your suggestions Dave. Utwalleye fixed them for me. He put in a couple nylon washers to keep a little pressure on the star drag all of the time and they work great now. As far as the line counter problem it is not a line diameter problem. I have identical reels with the same line on both and one reads correctly and the other one is way off. I guess that I will just live with it.
[signature]
makes me wonder if one of them is metric
[signature]