Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing report
Frished woodruff again tuesday. Talk about a micro light bite. Spring bobbers and straight lines couldnt even pick up the bites. You could see the fish swim up to your jig on the fish finder. But they would pick the jig up vertical so you didnt get a dip on the pole, but they wouldnt pick it up high enough to create enough slack in the line to create a curl. So, what you had to do was see the fish swim up, when he was on the lure for a few seconds, pick up the rod slightly until you felt his weight and hope you could set the hook before he spit it. Jigging was even tougher. When you lift the rod, the fish hit and you had to get him hooked at the exact right second or you wouldnt get him. They all would only hit it once. That was some tough ice fishing. We did manage to get several fish, but it we had to work for them. Chartruse was the color. They didnt want any white. 35 feet deep was where we found the bottom depth was most effective, but the fish were mostly in 12 - 20 feet depths. Going to strawberry friday or saturday and probably newton the other day. Any one got any tips on the ice in chicken creek? I hear the guy has plowed up a snow bank so you cant get back to indian creek, and it sounds like mud creek is getting hit pretty good. I wouldnt mind being one of the first to get at some of those chicken creek fish. Also, if anyone finds themselves in the area of porcupine, hop over and take a look. Wouldnt mind going for some kokanee through the ice up there.
I spent 2 hours on the ice at mud creek wed. afternoon. saw 2 fish on the finder 1 of them bumped my ice fly twice[Sad]. not a very productive outing. I drilled a lot of holes and moved a lot. The ice was about 5" thick out 3 or 4 hundred yards out from the ramp. I didn't get there until about 1:00 PM and left a little after 3: PM.

There was only one other guy on the ice when I got there. He had camped on the ice [crazy]and said that he hadn't seen anyone else. He had only caught (3) 8" trout by the time he left an 1:30.

I drove over to Soldier Creek Marina, but the main bay was open and the ice in the bay just to the north didn't look to safe. I didn't even get out of the truck. The arm of Soldier creek near highway 40 had fishable ice on Mon. when I drove past and had two people fishing along the eastern edge.

There was ice covering all of the berry that I could see except for an area out from chicken creek west. Chicken creek east and the ladders area are ice covered with large cracks and small areas of open water. The ice did not look safe to me. The ice should be good all over the berry by new years.

fdg
[signature]
Fished at the Berry today with Skeeter2 and a few of our family members. Fishing was slow. Went to mud creek first caught four, left about 10:00 am to go to chicken creek. Caught one there. Ice in mud creek is about 6" thick. The ice at Chicken creek, is about 4" thick. The temp when we arived (about 6.45am) was -6 degrees. Ice is forming fast. Might be going to Daniels on Saturday. Will let you know.

"remember where you are and how you got there,

Because you might have to find you way back".[Smile]
[signature]
Drove by Rockport today to check out the ice. Didnt look safe. Had some serious cracks and water on top(in the south end). We didnt get out of the truck. Probably will be a week or so before you can fish it. Echo looked like no one had fished it. On the way by, We need some cold weather to freeze these lakes. "pray"

"Remember where you are and how you got there,

Because you might have to find you way back".
[signature]