Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter float tube storage
I just got a new U shape float tube and want to go out during the cold months. Is there anything I need to prepare for other than the cold temps. Also how do I store the tube if I don't get to go as planned.
Any info would help. Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to the tubing funhouse. As you probably guessed, you need to prepare yourself more than your craft. Wear good neoprene waders and enough layers to keep you from becoming a tubersicle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As far as your U-boat goes, the main consideration in cold air and water is making sure you are properly inflated. Air your craft up to tight and then let it sit in the cold air while you finish getting dressed and ready. Check the firmness of your craft again. If it has shrunk a bit, in the cold, then top it off once more before launching. Some tubes can seemingly shrink quite a bit when the air contracts in the cold. You will have a better handling tube if you keep it properly inflated. Less effort to kick around, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For storage, you can deflate it completely and fold it up for more compact storage, or you can just partially deflate it and hang it from the wall or rafters in your garage, from one of the D rings. Keep it away from extreme heat and cold. Heat can expand the air chambers and split seams or burst bladders. Too cold and it can freeze the bladder and cause it to crack if you move it before letting it warm a bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you get to use it...successfully. Give us a report.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I do have another questions. I'm new to tubing so please be patient. I inflated the tube in my garage in the afternoon and attached my rod holders and fishfinder. The next day after work my tube had lost some air to the point it fell off my saw horses. I know you said the cold will cause the tube to loose some air but is this normal or did I get a defective tube?
Please help.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The tube should not have lost that much air. What kind do you have?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some tubes have vinyl air chambers with valves that need to be properly seated during installation or they will not hold air securely.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My suggestion is to air it up fairly full, and then check for air leaks around the valve first. If it is not fixable by adjustment, then take the tube back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We almost lost one of our Utah tubers last year on a "flotilla" outing. He aired up and launched, heading for deeper water. By the time he noticed that his valve was leaking air, he almost sunk on one side (two air chambers). If it had not been for one of the other local members, who had an electric motor on his pontoon...who towed in the unlucky guy...he would have got wet and cold...or worse.[/#0000ff]
[signature]