Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Jet sled wind block
[size 2][inline "Jet Shack 4.jpg"][/size][size 2][/size]

[size 2]Theres an idea TriM and I came up with last year that some folks might find interesting. It merely attaches to a standard Jet sled and provides some comfort from the wind and wet. The jet sled we used to create it is 54 inches long. As I recall the frame at the top measures 52"x54"x36" . The shelter will set two inside (shoulder to shoulder) but works great for a single person. Its made using a cheap blue tarp, 1/2" conduit, pvc pipe and connectors. The cover and frame weighs about 3lbs including its storage bag... It takes a couple minutes to set it up or pull it down.. We made the storage bag extra big to avoid problems getting the unit back in the storage bag when its time to leave the hard top..
[/size]
[size 2][/size]
[size 2][inline "Jet Shack 2.jpg"][/size]
[size 2][/size]
[size 2][inline "Jet shack 3.jpg"][/size]
[size 2][/size]
[size 2][inline "Jet shack.jpg"][/size]
[signature]
Wow Coldfooter, Sweet machine ! Looks light and easy to assemble when you hit the ice too. What do you put inside for a seat ? How does it handle the wind ?
[signature]
Your your own ballast in this unit and actually it holds its own pretty good. But its not meant to withstand heavy W but instead those butt numbing breezes we all love,, to hate.. As far as a seat, a smaller size collapsible chair works well.
[signature]
that is quite an upgrade, [cool]

and might I add proper use of PVC,,,

no doubt you saved your self about $275.oo on this project...

just one question, did you bolt or rivit the PVC base pegs to the sled?
[signature]
Thanks Dave, its fairly easy to built and lite weight, and,, a good use of Rat Holed materal. [Wink]
I simply bolted them in place (two bolts each). The uprights are common 1/2" metal conduit and the PVC corner pieces were installed using self tapping screws. The tarp was cut a sewn to fit the frame. Around the bottom of the shell is a sliding cord pocket (for lack of the proper term) which allows the bottom shell to be maintained below the upper lip of the sled with use of pealine in the slide pocket and a bungee attaching the looped ends in the pealine.
[signature]
Thats a nifty idea, good and cheep protection, however you would be in for a wild sleigh ride if the big W kicked up
[signature]
LOL, thats what ice anchors are for[Wink]. Besides as I mentioned, its not meant for the rough stuff..

Speaking of wild rides in W. While ice fishing Otter Creek many noons ago two of my brothers and I where setting in the old type aluminum webbed lawn chairs. It was blowing pretty good that day and If you stood up you had to make sure you folded the chair down and stepped on it.What more, there wasnt but just a skiff of snow on the ice here and there so the ice was like glass and SLICK! Well my younger brother stood up when he got bit and forgot to fold his chair. Next thing I knew the darn chair was racing away so the other brother went chasing after it on and managed to catch it. After he got back with it I dared him to run and jump on it to see how far he could make it. He finally bailed out about 3/4 across the pond. Said he'd have went farther but the chair acted like it was going to give out any second.. But between you and me, I dont think he wanted to walk all the way back across so he bailed.
[signature]