Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashers verses Fishfinders
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]First of all, I know NOTHING about flashers. There seems to be many fisherman who prefer flashers to conventional sonar for ice fishing. WHY? What are the advantages or features that make flashers so popular on the ice? Are they that much better on the ice than fishfinders? I really must be missing something because I would be hard pressed to give up my X-85 on the ice. I'm able to see, I'm assuming, everything that is entering my cone. What's up with flashers?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Two things they talk about on the In-Fisherman ice videos that they like about flashers is that they are real time the graphs are about 1 second slow from whats happening and the other thing is that cold temps don't affect the readout on the flashers. They say that temps below 25 deg may affect the LCD readout. I have no personal experience yet but take it for what its worth.
[signature]
Fishnate has it right buddy. What would be ping speed on your X-85 is slower than on a flasher. A flasher pings like an insane freak of nature. It will read the bottom, your jig, and fish just like on your X-85 but you have to learn to read it on a dial rather than a LCD screen. Like fishnate said, they arent effected by cold as much. You may have noticed your screen slow down, or blurr images when its cold out, with a flasher, its just lights, no liquid crystals to slow down. Basically, I dont think you need bolth, if you already have a LCD, use it. If you love to ice fish and want the speed and will take the time to learn to read it, buy a flasher. I believe flashers use much less battery power as well. If you ever go out with skeeter on his boat, he has one you can play around with. If you are wealthy, go for it. I am with you though, my finder works excellent, all except for hauling that stupid battery out on the ice.
[signature]
you guys may want to try the bottom line modle TBL, its size is equil to that of my white gass colman lantern, comes in its own caring case, is compleatly portable and will mount on any boat at a moments notice, will fit on you sled beside your lantern with room to spair. it dimentions are bottom 8"X8" hight 11 to 12 inches.

it has digital readout and is fast in reporting what is down ther with its fish sounding fish alarm, best yet is I have not changed the battery in my finder in the last 6-8 years, (cant remember exactly when it was when I changed it last, but do know it was before my car axident 4 years ago. it takes 2 6-volt batteries, I uesed Raovac in it. most expencive battery on the market but cheepest in the long run for long life.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]One trick to help the LCD from being effected by the cold is to turn the light on. This helps keep it warm but unfortunately it drains batteries faster. I know I've used mine in -20 degrees and it has functioned fine. My friend who uses a fishin' buddy puts a hand warmer pack in his unit to help keep it warm. Seems to work pretty good.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Flashers have been around since at least 1975 when I bought my first one. Everyone else has it right, the main difference is the sample and display rate. The sample rate of a typical low cost LCD is 1 or 2 times per second at the most. A flasher may sample 40-60 times a second. The second difference is in the time it takes to process and display it. Since a flasher is just a light beam it is displayed instantly. A LCD may take up to second or more to process and display what it sees.

With a flasher what you see displayed is what is happening at that moment, an LCD may take a second or two to display it. Now I'm no Al Linder but it takes me a couple of seconds to react to what I see anyway. The diSadvantage of a flasher is there is no record of what happened. For instance, you reached for another cool one when the fish alarm goes off, you look over and on the LCD you see a big fish swam by at 23 ft. On a flasher you would have to be looking at it at the instance it happened.

I too use an LCD now because they do almost all the things flashers do a little slower. Thats ok with me because I'm a little slower too. Besides. batteries are cheap.
[signature]
so if, even though the lcd is a little slower dose this have any baring on the speed of the audio sound alarm?
[signature]
Another major difference between a flasher and an lcd fishfinder is the ability to see something 1.5 inches off of the bottom compared to a few inches or more with the average sonar unit.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]So what is the cone angle if any on a flasher or does it even have a cone? If it can see right to the bottom I would assume that it must be covering a much smaller area than conventional sonar. That would make sense assuming that each one was designed for different applications. Vertical jigging on the ice does not require a large area to be covered whereas trolling on a boat would be at a major diSadvantage covering such a small area. Am I even close? I need to do some research. Hmmm, this has me thinking........that could be dangerous![/size][/font]
[signature]
Don't some lcds have a flasher mode built in?
[signature]
Lowrance has fasttrack but its still not exactly a flasher.
[signature]
I have been tempted to buy a flasher . I went to Galyans last friday . They had the Vexilar FL-8 SLT on clearance for 200 bucks . It was one with out all the options and it had a 19 degree cone ice transducer I think it doesn't have a battery either . I wish it had the dual or the 9 degree . The web site for Vexilar is [url "http://www.vexilar.com/index.html"]http://www.vexilar.com/index.html[/url] some info here . Let me see what could I use , a flasher or power auger ........................... nope , the wife says no way . They also have a article on ice fishing in utahfishfinder site from Minnesota that talks about the flashers .
[signature]