Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chukars and Grouse
Anyone out there an expert upland game master?

I've tried Chukar hunting three times now in Tooele and Box Elder counties and have yet to see one. I go places that people suggest to me as good spots, but I don't see 'em and the people I've met in the field haven't had much luck either.Any hints on good locations? Anyone know where some of those "guzzlers" are the F&G put in?

Also on my list is to bag my first grouse. I've only tried it once. I went up by Strawberry and hiked for a bazillion miles thru aspen stands, across small creeks, down through gullies, etc. and saw a lot of different animals, but no grouse.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your help.
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]You my friend has chosen to go after 2 of the most elusive birds. Chukars are crazy little birds, they live at the very top of the mountain. Just make sure that when you go for chukars to have good hiking boots, and be prepared for a good hike straight up! As for grouse, the most I have ever seen was deer hunting. Only have ever got 2 in my life so I am on the same boat with you on that one.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Can't help you with chukars, however I can help with grouse.

Grouse it seems are rarely in the same exact place twice. They move around a lot, however they always stay close to water and food sources, specially when that includes good cover too.

Areas where there are lots of berries(oregon grape, chokecherries, elderberries, wild rose buds, etc.) and leafy greens are great for ruffed grouse, but it needs to have a water source nearby. Blue grouse can be found in the same habitat, but usually higher in elevation and near aspens/pines.

Later in the season (like now) the blue grouse begin to migrate to higher elevations and hang out in or very near to fir tree stands. The north facing slopes of many mountains are usually covered with these. The winter diet for blue grouse is almost entirely fir tree needles.

Some places that I have found grouse are in the upper portions of Rock Canyon, Daniels Canyon (in any side canyon where there are pines), near Strawberry in the aspens, and in the Uintahs south slope.

Yes, you do have to hike a lot.

Grouse hunting = hiking in steep places

Chukar hunting even more so.

Good luck to you!
[signature]
One of the best things you can do is call your local DWR office, they can give you areas that you can find both chuckers and grouse. They won't tell you were to find guzzlers but if you talk to the right agent he might give you an area where some birds are located. Good luck. WH2
[signature]
I'm no expert on either, but I've spent a lot of time chasing both birds. Somedays you can find them, and others you draw a blank. I've only seen a couple of guzzlers, and both were not functional, neither were there any birds around them, so just because you can find them, doesn't guarantee you'll find birds. I wish there was a simple formula for finding the birds.
[signature]
Grouse are always fairly close to water. After I started taking a dog hunting (not the one in the picture) my grouse take more than doubled.
[signature]
Let me see if I can help you. If you are looking for blue grouse this time of year remember that they move to the top of the mountain and winter in the conifers. They should be there by now and snow storms could create an access problem during the rest of the hunt.
The ruffed grouse that is your other options are often found in aspen groves and willow bottoms along mountain streams. The wolf creek pass area is not a bad place to look. Remember that we had a really wet spring and that usually results in poor nesting for forest grouse. populations seem to be real spotty this year.
The chukar parttidge is a whole different situation . They have had a good nesting year. They can be found along just about any mountainous area from the wasatch front all the west to pilot and deep creek mountains. As far as locating guzzlers they probably wouldn't be of much help. They have had lots of pressure and the birds can find enough moisture from the grass shoots that they don't need to drink from the guzzlers. Here are a couple of suggestions. First go to the dwr website and find which areas they released chukars on in september. Most of those areas have both guzzlers and established populations of chukars. There is a new organization in the state called the Utah chukar foundation I know they have been telling their members about areas that have good numbers of birds.
Some of the best hunting is yet to come. Hunting chukars is alot of fun following a new snow. It will concentrate the birds and and move them down to lower elevations. The ability to follow the tracks in the snow will help you locate the birds and make it easier for hunters without dogs. Good luck. gshorthair
[signature]
FH,
There are no Chuckars in the Pilots, please hunt elsewhere. Seriously, if you need some GPS points in the Pilots I can get you started. I'll get you close, you'll have to work for the rest. As gshorthair said, the best time in the pilots won't be until the snow stays up top. The birds are still high and it does make them a little difficult to get. Right now they're hanging in the high cedars and when you find them it's almost impossable to get a clean shot. Give it a few weeks and they'll be lower and much easier to find. There was a good article on the DNR news site that listed all the locations they released Chuckars a few months back. Search back in their archives and see if you can find it. Can't help with Ruffies and Blues, I don't hunt them much. I spend my time hunting Chuckars and Geese. I did see a bunch of Ruffies while I was bow hunting in the Raft Mountains.
IFG

Hey g-shorthair, I have a Draathhaar, cousin of the shorthair. He's a Chuckar huntin fool.

IFG
I am fimilar with that breed. That is another good all around dog. I have a pair of shorthairs and I have hunted all types of upland with them. I enjoy watching the dogs as much as shooting the birds. Do ever have a problem wih your dog tearing up his pads when you chase those red legged rock hoppers? gshorthair
[signature]
Hey GS, I had that concern with my labs and my fathers GS. We end up using this stuff called EMT gel. We apply it liberaly to the pad, let it dry to a tacky stage then tromp their paw down in a sandy spot. We then take spts tape to wrap their joints and that pad that has no reason being 3 inches from their foot. This stuff lasts pretty much all day and really works well for us.
[signature]
A few years ago there were a lot of Blue grouse down on Mt. Dutton. I was hunting elk with my dad and grandpa, and we all got a limit. Easy. It was just driving down the road, seeing the bird, getting out and blasting away. I'm not even going to pretend to be an expert at it. It was pretty well sheer luck.

As for chukar, I know chukar. Seeing about 400 of the little buggers on the deer hunt I know where their at, right now. But, I can not give out that particular location. If you want to get into a few birds at easier locations, try Black & Grassy Mountain. Both are in Tooele county, north of I80. On Black, I'd recomend the Gravel Pit. Just go up in there and work your way up the mountain. You should see birds in no time at all. On Grassy, take the road that goes right up the middle of the mountain. It takes you to a chuckar guzzler. From there work around the ridges, and you'll see a few. The way I get into Black is off of the Rowley/Dugway exit, and to Grassy the Military/Lakeside exit. I've also heard of a few being taken on the north end of the Stansburies. I'd figure right around the point by Timpie into that sheer rock stuff is where their at there.

Good luck.
chukars..just go the the westside of utah lake... lots of them...grouse current creek has a good number up there
[signature]
Oz used to get his paws torn pretty badly on the rocks especially in the Pilots and Hogups. I started using a paint on protective for cow hoofs. I learned this trick in South Dakota a few years back from the farmer who's land I was hunting. It's called Mobeys Hoof Hardener. It's like liquid cement that drys almost instantly. It forms a protective coating over the hoof, but only lasts about a day. Once Oz got used to it he had no more pad injuries. Try it, it works great.

IFG
IFG how do you get the stuff off of the dogs paws, is it a painful procedure?
[signature]
The best way I can descibe it is it's like rubber cement. I just peels up from the edge, but it stays on all day if you can keep your dog from licking his or hers paws. Since Oz is so bussy hunting he doesn't care. At the end of the day he lays down and strips it off, if I don't peel it off first. It's kinda of like a latex sort of thing. You'd have to see it in action.

IFG
[signature]
It is kind of weird I can hunt all fall without any problems to my dogs feet. As soon as I start chasing chukars in december my older dog tears up her feet and the younger one doesn't seem to have a problem. I have found that the pads on this dog get really dry. The last half of dozen trips I have rubbed her feet with a lotion that has lanolin before I load her up in the morning. It seems to work. No more split pads. There are several things you can buy like tuff pad that is supposed to make the pads more durable. I have hunted with guys that put rubber boots on the dogs feet. This works when they have damaged the pads on the previous trip and there isn't enough time for the injury to heal before you go again. I don't know if there is a best way but it sure is Sad when your dog has a bad wheel and it's prime time to hunt chukars. gshorthair
[signature]
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. That is why I love this board, I really do learn a lot and people are surprisingly willing to share good info. I am taking biochemistry this semester in preparation for medical school and its a tuff go, but two more weeks and I'm FREE! Then I'll be hitting those Chukars every Saturday until I figure it out!

Now McLennon, I have to thank you for the advice, I think . . . all I have to say is you sure do have a lot of "secrets." Aren't you the one with all those "secret fishing spots" you can't reveal over on the main board?; secret deer hunting spots?; secret "mystery line" at Scofield????????? If you're not gonna let a guy in on your Chukar honey covey then ya don't brag to him about seeing 400 BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's cruel, just plain cruel.

Don't worry, I'm just giving ya hard time [Wink]
[signature]
See My PM
[signature]
I'd tell ya if it wasn't where I deer hunt. Those 400 birds were right where I saw the 35"er this year. Otherwise I'd give you directions right to them, down to the last cedar tree. It's just I want that big buck, and anyone who saw him would want him, too.
[signature]