Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
luner effects?
What are your thoughts?

Me personnaly... I believe that the fuller the moon the less active the bit! Just that simple! I need no tables or charts just watch the sky and judge for myself.

I am an uneducated man so bear with me here! Keep it polite but back your beliefs with experience if you will.

Just a little fun for the mind to post about.
[signature]
I am in the same boat. I have noticed that when the moon is full, fishing is not good. That also seems to be the time when my buddy and I have the strongest urge to go fishing. I have noticed that it doesn't have the same effect on ice fishing. Here is my uneducated $.02.
[signature]
hey pat whats up? I have noticed this also on all man made resevoirs and most rivers. But believe it or not I have had my best days fishing on Bear Lake when #1 there is a high pressure and #2 the moon was full.

Bodine
[signature]
I was reading a report written by a fishing guide on the Gorge. He had recorded every fish caught and all conditions including the moon cycle for years. He concluded that the lunar tables weren't exactly correct. He did become a firm believer that on the Gorge the best fishing was the three days before and after a full or new moon. And of course at daybreak and dusk.
[signature]
I have also noticed that fishing seems to be better when it isn't a full moon. Maybe I just want to blame the lack of catching on something besides myself. [Wink]
I have recorded detaild reports of all my fishing trips in a database for almost three years. If I have a half hour to waste tomorrow I'll see how the moon has affected my success and post the results.
[signature]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Here are the results that I calculated from my database. Overall I don’t think my data shows any significant variation for the different phases of the moon. However I do believe the moon can affect how active the fish are during the day or night. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]First Quarter [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I averaged 2.15 fish/hour, 2.30 lbs/hour and 1.89 fish/location [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]39 locations fished and 71.71 total hours fished[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]On a scale of 1 to 100 my average rating was 51.97[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Last Quarter[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I averaged 1.76 fish/hour, 2.37 lbs/hour and 3.18 fish/location [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]45 locations fished and 139.87 total hours fished[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]On a scale of 1 to 100 my average rating was 54.20[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Full Moon[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I averaged 1.66 fish/hour, 5.65 lbs/hour and 2.60 fish/location [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]63 locations fished and 161.18 total hours fished[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]On a scale of 1 to 100 my average rating was 52.10[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]New Moon [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I averaged 1.66 fish/hour, 3.34 lbs/hour and 3.49 fish/location [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]28 locations fished and 91.47 total hours fished[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]On a scale of 1 to 100 my average rating was 59.26[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Each location requires a different body of water or a different date. Some days I would fish 5 or more different locations. At some of the locations I would only fish for 5 or 10 minutes and others I would fish over 12 hours. The lbs/hour could be slightly skewed by a few good days of carp or sturgeon fishing. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]My definition of the different phases of the moon is the following. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Full Moon 0-5 or 25-29 days until next full moon[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]First 1/4 is 5-11 days until next full moon[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]New 12-17 days until next full moon[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Last 1/4 is 18-24 days until the next full moon[/size][/font]
[signature]
Brian,

That is some very interesting fishing stats. I keep telling myself to keep a log but it takes a dedication to do it.

Looks to me like you catch fish pretty consistently during all moon phases.

I think that your future job should be in the guiding business! Wish I had the time to be out that many hours doing what we all love to do!

Thanks for the response and details my friend.
[signature]
fish1on,

Starting a fishing log is well worth the time. I was always saying I was going to start one for years until I finally did. I wish I would have started sooner because I would have a lot of interesting info about things that I have forgotten.

I fish a lot in the winter, spring and early summer but I've only fished about 10 hours since mid July. If I could just give up scouting and hunting for deer I would have more time to fish.
[signature]