Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black sea bass
[cool]I caught another "Black" the other day in the harbor fishing for halibut. That fish marks about 25 "blacks" for the year from our boat. 23 fish came out of the harbor and one 100 pounder came from Catalina while one was caught off Pt. Ferman. My son has caught over 20 fish while sea bass fishing at the island. He said the averge weight of the "blacks"were 50 pounds and a couple are still going because they were too big to stop.I wonder if the other fishermen on these boards are experiencing the same?
[signature]
[Smile]

Hey there Mr. Local,

Love your series of articles on local bay/jetty/shore/beach fishing! Keep 'em coming!

Last season (Mar-Oct/02), I caught a total of 7 of the creatures. All these guys were caught on local party boats off, specifically, Palos Verde in really close and shallow, a mile or so off the LA lighthouse entrance, etc., etc.

My largest was a 25lb'er all healthy and released without incident. I'll never want to keep one to eat as there are lots of tasty, more prolific fish to make a meal. Besides, I don't want to pay that big fat fine for keeping one!

Also, I've never caught so many teenage (ha ha I forgot how to spell the juve word correctly) white sea bass as this season. Thanks, in part to the ACTIVE role one particular angler's group is doing and to the deligent and consistant ???enforcement??? activities of the DFG.

Pretty inspiring huh?

JapanRon
a.k.a. tsurikichi
[signature]
We caught our first (and only, so far) black bass off of the San Diego harbor about a week and a half ago. Being new to the area it took me a minute to figure out what I had caught. I estimate the fish weighed about 10 lbs. We released it unharmed and it quickly returned to the bottom.

SD boater
[signature]
Steven: You are a good guy. It's amazing why lots of people will kill a fish to show off later in an effort to identify it. Juvenile blacks are beautiful fish and of course have to be returned immediately. They also have a bad habit of not being able to deflate their air bladders after you return them to the sea. It's really important to know how to puncture them to aid the release. An old buddy of mine is a guide for fishing Mackinaws in Lake Tahoe. Macs are caught very deep and need attention so they can swim back down also. He has a needle that releases the air from the bladder. But he knows where to place it so it doesn't injure the fish. I think all of we anglers should know where that point is, don't you?
[signature]
Hey George:

Thanks for the kind words. You're absolutely right about that swim bladder. Everyone fishing fairly deep water should know how to deflate the bladder so that the fish can be released unharmed. Since several fish were (or still are off limits) off the S. California coast, it is important to be able to deflate the bladder and return these fish when caught. The State of California Sports Fishing page has some information regarding how to accomplish this. I keep a sharp syringe needle with me to accomplish this when the bladder does not deflate. Being a veterinarian helps me obtain these needles, but it shouldn't be too hard to get one if necessary.

Here is one web site that has some good information on what to look for when the bladder won't release and how to release the air when necessary:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/floridafishing/venting.htm

Now, how about some other fishing reports from the Southern California area?

I just got my family's and I 2003 fishing licenses and also went ahead and got the Mexican license. Am going out tomorrow and Saturday. I'll be sure to write back if we get any.

Steve
[signature]