Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing story
About 7 years ago I was fishing Robert Gravel Pond from a canoe shortly after ice off. I was catching a few fish on spinners as well as a couple nice thick rainbows that were about 18” long. While fishing close to the east shore of the SW arm I spotted a bobber floating and thought I would go pick it up. After I picked up the bobber there was still a line attacked so I thought I would pull it in to see what was on the other end of the line. To my surprise on the other end was a two foot ice fishing pole and decent shimano reel. I guess in must have fallen through someone’s ice hole that winter. I had to take apart the reel to clean it but after that the rod and reel were still in more than good enough condition to use.
I caught a number of fish on that rod and reel the next couple of winters. The fishing was slow the first time that I took that rod back to Roberts Gravel Pond ice fishing. After a half an hour we still hadn’t caught any fish so I wasn’t paying as much attention to my pole. After taking my eye off of it for a minute I looked back to check it and noticed it was missing. I don’t know what happened to that pole for sure but I believe a fish pulled it down the hole when I wasn’t looking. I guess the fate of that pole was to be on the bottom of Roberts gravel pond. If you ever come across an ice fishing pole with a shimano reel that was lying on the bottom of Roberts Gravel Pond just out from the tree in the middle of the west shore then you know where it came from.
[signature]