Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck Hunters take note
I decided to find out once and for all the big question many float tubers have about whether or not it is legal to duck hunt from a float tube (i.e. whether a float tube would be considered a "sinkbox").

Here is an email I sent to Scott Root, the DWR Central Office administrator, and his response:

Quote:Kevin,

Good question!....I just spoke with Jack Topham, our Law Enforcement Lieutenant and he stated that a pontoon boat or float tube are considered as "boats" and not as sink boxes...they are OK to use!

>>> "Kevin"> 11/10/05 11:48 AM >>>
Scott,

I have a question about one of the regulations for waterfowl hunting.

The reg. in question is on page 10 of the waterfowl proclamation (Sec. XI, Subsection F.)

Here is a cut and paste of the reg.:

F. Sinkbox (page 10 of the Waterfowl Proclamation)
R657-9-15 & 50 CFR 20.21©
A person may not take migratory game birds from or by means, aid or use of any type of
low floating device, having a depression affording the hunter a means of concealment
beneath the surface of the water.

Here is a cut & paste of the term "sinkbox" from pg. 5 in the glossary:

(24) "Sinkbox" means any type of low floating device, having a depression, affording
the hunter a means of concealment beneath the surface of the water.

I was just wondering if a float tube, such as many fishermen use to flyfish and other types of fishing, would be considered a sinkbox under this regulation. It is a low floating device, however it does not have a depression, it has a hole (round style tube) or just a seat (V-shaped tube) and just the legs from just above the knee or at the knee is below water. That is the only portion of the hunter that is below water. This would be similar to a hunter wading in the water, where the lower extremeties are beneath the surface of the water as well.

It is my opinion that this would not be considered a sinkbox, since the hunter is not concealed below the water, nor could be without drowning, however before venturing out in a float tube to duck hunt I wanted to check what the position of the DWR was on this matter. I do not want to do something if the DWR considers it illegal, however I do not think that the current law was meant to prevent this type of hunting.

Please let me know.

Thank you .

A concerned hunter/angler.

Kevin
[signature]
Cat_Man

Thx for the offical answer on this. I would just like to add since they are a boat make sure you have proper floation devices on board(life jackets). We where on FB a few years ago on personal ponton boats. The dwr stopped us and checked everything. Not a big deal glad they where there but they did ask about the lifejacket becuase one of had covered it up with a jacket[crazy].

good luck to all this weekend wheter looking under water or in the sky.
[signature]