Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tube maintenance question
When storing float tubes do you have to silicone the tube in order to keep it in good shape? When i was in the military regulations pertaining to all rubber equipment required siliconing in order to keep rubber items from drying out . Has anyone ever had their tubes damaged by that?I am going to invest in one probably a used one already hooked up if possible .
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Most of the newer models have either vinyl or urethane air chamber bladders. Neither of these requires any special attention other than proper inflation when on the water and partial deflation when not in use...to prevent overexpansion in heat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am not aware of any tube or 'toon manufacturer that recommends "siliconing" or the application of any other substance to help preserve the air bladders.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know what kind of craft you are looking at. And, I will say that if it is over about 5 years old that I would consider replacing the bladders just as a precaution. They may be okay (and should be), but the wrong time to find out that you got an abused one is when you are out in the middle of a big lake and your craft suddenly deflates around you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know when you get "tubed" and we can get together for an official launching and shakedown cruise.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,

I have no experience with replacement bladders and I'm sure over the expanse of your illustrious career you may have replaced (or thought about replacing) bladders on a few tubes.

Without knowing much and being a bit cynical, I am inclined, at first thought, to think that replacement of both bladders would cost about as much as investing in a new tube. Would that be correct or do I have a pleasant surprise in store if I ever need a new urethane (butyl?) Fat Cat bladder?
[signature]
I am gonna have to do a consultation with you if i end up getting a used tube.If there isnt a really good used one out there i am gonna get a new one.And yes i am gonna have to do a tubing trip with you one day to see how the pros do it![Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have not priced a replacement for the Fat Cat bladder (singular). I am sure it is pricey, since they seem to be real PROUD of their stuff when it comes to putting a price tag on it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the single smaller vinyl air chambers run $40 or more. You are right. It is probably a better idea to peddle off your old craft to an investigative newbie and then buy something new. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of us tend to lust after BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER, MORE once we get involved in our sport. After we know what the options are, and what they mean to our brand of fishing, we are better qualified to make a good buying decision on our next models...and our next, etc. At least you would think so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been on a lifelong quest to check out every new craft that I can. I seldom keep one more than a year or two. I either wear it out or get tired of it and go for an upgrade. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's where I am with Fat Cats. There are a lot of positives about them, but there are a few things that have "made my jaws tight" since I first bought mine about 2 years ago. Readers of this forum will recall that I have had a neverending quest to fix the seats and the aprons. I have just about got everything where it is useable, but now I have to take out about 20 pounds of extra PVC and an add-on chair seat, just to be comfortable and to get the craft I want and need. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Next up...PONTOONERY.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The best advice I have to offer is that if you think you might become serious about tubing, you should budget a few bucks more and get a good craft to start with. There are a lot of good deals out there. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water and weather are not warm enough to plan a tubing exploratory trip right now, without factoring in a lot of extra gear. But, if you would like to try to work out a meetup, maybe at Lincoln Beach, send me a PM and I can coach you on what you need. Chances are that I have everything you will need for a trial ride. I can "borrow" you TubeBabe's Fat Cat, all tricked out, and you can get a feel for what you have been missing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, if you will send me your email address (by PM), I can send you some of the chapters of my float tubing book that will help get you up to speed on the basics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll make a prediction though. You won't be alone on the water very long. My guess is that the younguns (and Mrs. Ocean) won't want to be stuck on shore while dad is out playing in the water...and catching more fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,

Are you actually contemplating leaving the tube for a pontoon? That could be disasterous. Just when many of us have found the "guru" of the tubing world we lose him to the pontoon crowd.

Seriously, I lusted after one of those for a while myself until I got to use one that a friend bought. I found it heavy and cumbersome. My friend has a pickup with a bed insert that slides in and out to facilitate his onshore handling of the craft. I would need someone to help me get this onto the roof of my Subaru if it would even fit up there.
On the water I found it clumsy and resistant to many of the normal manouevres I use while finning in my Fat Cat or my Wood River tube. The craft rowed too much like a rubber dinghy for me. I subsequently lost all interest in pontoons although I do think they would make a good craft for floating rivers. If a guy had the bucks the Water Strider looks like a good step up from the float tube. It looks like a craft that might be equally at home on flowing or still water.

I can understand why you're looking as the Fat Cat style tube is pretty much the height of float tube technology to the point where the design is being replicated by other companies. Other than the types of improvements you have made on your own (Still have to compliment you on the discovery of using the "Rubbermaid" tray) I don't know where they would improve on the basic shape and design. I think you could add another 20 pounds to your setup before experiencing the inconvenience of doing what you do with a pontoon instead of a tube.

If you already have a boat trailer than disregard everything I said against the pontoon because you could add an electric motor and have a pretty decent solo fishing craft. BUT!!!!.......... you could also get a kayak and continue to fish from your tube while expanding your mobility options with the kayak. I have fished a fair bit from a kayak and it works pretty well. This summer I hope to kayak into one of the more remote areas of Georgian Bay either with my tube collapsed and lashed to the top or following along behind fully inflated and attached to a tow rope.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just so there are no misunderstandings, it is not an "either or" proposition between float tubes and pontoons. Neither will ever totally replace the other. Each has benefits and features that make it a better choice, under specific fishing conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will always keep either a Fat Cat or similar in my arsenal. Too many places where a pontoon would be too big and heavy or simply not needed. On the other hand, a pontoon (with or without electric motor) will give me extra range and mobility to fish water I cannot fish effectively with tube alone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have thought about Kayaks too, but for the type of "hands-free" fishing I enjoy, kayaks require too much "hands-on" paddling just to maintain position. I have explored this with several pontooners. They love the mobility and over-the-water speed of a kayak, but grudgingly agree that they suck when it is time to work slowly down a shoreline or to maintain just the right distance while casting to feeding fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pontoons allow the best of both worlds for me. I can go farther and faster to get where I want to go, but then I can ship the oars and fish using just the fins. Then, when it's time to go home...or the breeze kicks up...I have extra propulsion (oars or motor) to get me back to the car without winding up in the intensive care unit of the local anglers' hospital.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I have discovered, there are many designs in pontoons. Some of them are more "fin friendly" than others. I still have some research to do. Poor me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]