Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To snap ... or not to snap ????
[size 2]I was just wondering if any of you out there have any strong opinions, one way or another, as to the use of snaps or swivel snaps connected directly to a lure as opposed to just line or leader connected to the lure. If you prefer snaps, is there a certain kind or feature you prefer? If you prefer to tie the line or leader directly to the lure, why? and what type of knot do you like ... a cinch type vs. a loop knot that doesn't cinch? I guess what I am trying to find out here is whether or not one way catches fish better than another. Do you think fish interprets snaps as unnatural? What allows for best lure action? If it matters, my focus is mainly for the use of crank bait, lead head grubs, and tube jigs, when fished for wipers, mackinaw, and stripers (in that order).[/size]
[signature]
I find myself using Snap swivels because of my lack of experience tieing knots and when fingers get cold and wet, its a real pain in the butt to get a knot tied as opposed to the ease of snapping a swivel.

I use the snap swivels that have the "hook" end on them to help keep them from pulling open.
[signature]
I never ever use a snap or swivel on a lead head. Unless its a few feet up on leader. Snaps are a great tool on cranks for easy change out. If you like them, use them. If you dont, I am not so sure it makes a difference in the ability to catch fish.
[signature]
I have best luck not using snap swivels for spinners on small steams fishing for smaller trout . Using spinners like panther martins tend to twist lines and it helps to use them . At night I don't think they mind as much . I'll use them for quick change to find the size they are hitting on at night on the rivers .Lot easier than tying knots at night . It all depends on the fish too !! I like the ones that lock like mention before and the good ones with the ball bearing . I only use them for spinners and some lures /crank baits . Never on jigs . Knots I use the clinch knot , but that is what i'm use to because I use to fly fish alot with the tiny flies . Pretty much can ty that one in my sleep . Should get in to the habit of doing the improved clinch and palomar knot for fusion line . tight lines and may you're knots hold up !!
[signature]
Myself anytime I use a double hookset-up I use a snap swivel of the ball bearing type. They cost abit more but you will find line twist are at a minimum. As I am just learning to really use lures I can't say what is best. But I do like the rapala knot for crank baits. It is similar to the knots I use for tying hooks for live anchovies. Simple, sturdy, and allows for free movement of hook or crank bait.

But I have to say this, when it is cold I find myself using snap swivels more and more for everything! As my hands get cold, they get stiff and tying a knot can get to be a real bear for me. In this case I use a polymer knot on the swivel. I use to use the chinch and improved chinch knot for this and all my flies. I still use it on flies and attach their leaders to the snap.
[signature]
I never use snap swivels, but I do use those duo-lock snaps all the time for crankbaits. If you're getting line twist while trolling cranks, something is wrong. And I switch baits all the time, so the convenience of a snap is great. If you tie direct, tie a loop knot. But you get maximum movement from crankbaits with snaps.

For jigs, I tie direct. If you chunk jigs with a spinning rod like I do, then line twist is inevitable. To remove line twist, remove everything from your line and let it out while driving down the lake. This will remove all line twist better than anything. I avoid using swivels for finesse applications. Though with many walleye techniques, like worm harnesses, they're needed and don't hamper the presentation.

And when I do use swivels, I use good swivels--like Sampo. Those brass cheapo's are garbage and aren't worth the savings.
[cool]I use em both. snaps mostly for lures and bait rigs. when I find finicky fish tie directly to the lure/hook. for jigs and pretty much most of the straight running lures like flat spoons or pop gear I tie right to it. The knot I use mostly is a palomar knot, it is simple, stronger then a clinch or improved clinch and if you can tie a shoelace you can tiew this knot!!! I can tell you and I know that inevery rapala they sell there is a little paper witha few knots on it, and this one is on there. you take loose end of line, double over to make loop, run loop end through what ever you are tying it to. then make a over hand knot (just like to tie a shoe) and through the loose end of teh loop you started with slip it over the item you are ataching it to. then pull the tag end and line end taught using your fingers to guide the knot up onto the eye of the item, make sure you spit on it or wet it before you sinch it, on any type of line. this is the key in knots, tighten em up wet. and voilae' you have a palomar knot. so quick reference, double over, pass through item to attach, tie over hand not (aka granny knot), pass loose loop over lure/baithook, spit on it and sinch it up. its fast easy and you can do it with cold hands, last trim tag end to 1/4 inch or less if you like. try it you will like it and it makes it not so much of a pain to switch the direct line hookup all the time. i can tie one now in under 3 seconds. havent tried the one handed yet but im sure you can if you have to. it is that simple. look it up its worth it. great knot, great strength, easy and fast.

lates,[Wink]
[signature]