Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 12/30/02
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 5]Bear Lake 12/30/02[/size][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hit Bear Lake today and turned out to be a pretty good day of fishing. We launched at 7:30 am. Surface water temp was 39 degrees with partly cloudly skies and a stiff breeze. Small chop on the water but no caps.[/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Stopped out side the marina in 74 ft of water and we started catching fish immediately. I was the lucky joe today. I caught the first three fish. The first fish of the day was an 11.5 lb Mack. Not a bad way to start the day! The Second fish was an 8 lb mack and the 3rd fish was a 4 lb cutthroat. The first three fish weighted out at over 22 lbs and all were caught in the first 20 minutes of the morning![/size][/font][/left] [center][image]http://home.attbi.com/~bearlakemack/BL_12-30-02_115.jpg[/image][/center] [center]11.5 pound mack[/center] [center][image]http://home.attbi.com/~bearlakemack/BL_12-30-02_80.jpg[/image][/center] [center]8.0 lb mack[/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We continued to catch fish but nothing over 2 -3 lbs after that. We met one of my fishing buddies later in the morning and decided to head north off Fish Heaven. We fished there and continued to catch a few fish. After a few moves, we decided to head south toward the marina and finish out the day close to home. Bernie, the son of my fishing buddy in the other boat, hooked into a nice fish and landed a 13.5 lb mack. [/size][/font][/left] [center][image]http://home.attbi.com/~bearlakemack/BL_12-30-02_135.jpg[/image][/center] [center]Bernie's 13.5 lb mack[/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We caught a few more fish and decide to head it in. The day was a good one on the Bear. We caught and released, between the two boats over 25 fish with some nice pictures of some of the larger fish to remember them by.[/size][/font][/left] [center] [/center]
[signature]
Way to go, when I get a real boat can you show me how it's done? But really, how do you do it? I guess I haven't put in my time yet. WH2
[signature]
Nice fish there BLM !! I wish I was there . That boat of you're friends looks like my boat . Just mine is out of order for the time being or till spring .
[signature]
Hey BLM FB2 gonna make me take back up them stogies back up when he sees that pick!! He was bugging me this summer on a slow day to go and get some. He remembers when he was little I would light up a stogie and the fish would start biting. Glad ya had a good day at the Bear, sure wish I was fishing instead of nursing but that is coming to a close and I'll be back on the water again. Hope it is before I can walk on it though LOL
[signature]
I'm headed over in the morning and was wondering what color jigs you were using? I've never caught anything on a jig except through the ice. I'm going down to Sportsmens Warehouse this evening to buy some jigs. Any help on color or location you can give me would be greatly accepted. What are you doing tomorrow? Maybe you should head back over tomorrow and show me how its done.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Nice report BLM. I guess I need to get my boat back out of storage again. ... [unsure][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Custom Sports in Hyde Park has everything a guy needs. I never pass up a trip to Sportsman's either.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You only need a couple basic colors. White or any variation (Pearls, salt & pepper, irodesences, etc) Pumpkin Seed, Rainbow Trout. These will consistently catch fish if they decide to go on the hunt. 3 3/4" to 5" lengths work.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Take heavier jigs to keep vertical on windy choppy days. I was using a 1 oz jig yesterday most of the morning. Once it calmed down in the afternoon I lightened up to 1/2 oz. Stay as light as possible.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The same places you troll are the same places you'll catch fish jigging. Rockpile & Gus' point are good. Pump house area, 1st & 2nd point, Cisco Beach. Really ANYWHERE! WE were up near Fish Haven yesterday and catching fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I don't know if I'll go up tomorrow because I'm headed up on Thursday (My Birthday present to myself!) but I'd be glad to hook up sometime. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Custom sports was pretty well picked over but I did pick up some glow in the darks and and some pumpkin colored jigs last night. I will have to get some larger heads because all I have is 1/2oz. I have never fished out in front of the marina. I'll try it first thing before hitting the rockpile. My birthday is on Friday but I can't give myself that great of a present because some of us have to work during the holidays. I will let you know how we do.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I think Custom has the best selection of tube weights. The spearheads go to 1 oz and if you give them a day ot two noticed they'll pour you jigs with Gamakatsu or other premium brand hooks but be forewarn they can be pricey![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you look on the back wall on the left, there are larger tube jig leadheads that go to 1 1/2 oz. These larger heads are designed to be used with the 5" magnum gitzit tubes. How do I know? I built the mold that they were poured from. If you need a few to try give me a ring and I'll turn you on to some. I'll PM my phone number to you if you're interested.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey send it to me. I would be interseted in trying them. I would also like to talk to you about some other things, possibly face to face. I know you live in Hyrum and I live in Nibley and work in Hyrum so we are fairly close.
[signature]