Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Success
Well my renamed SOS (South Ogden Slayer) is now the Bumkis. It has many variations the latest tied with a dubbed red antron thorax with halographic tinsel. Works great on the weber as well as rivers on the yellowstone. I originally tied it for the South Fork, but found it works other places as well.

What's the point of this post, well anything (I mean anything) red is doing well on the weber. I tied a grey scud with a red antron middle and it works. Red is key right now. I am hoping my micro muddler (size 12) tied with red antron by the head will do well this Saturday.

I am posting the pattern for the Bumkis (for those inquiring about the name watch A Christmas Story, my favorite line is when the father shouts as his neigbors the bumkis'. Sons of bit---- Bumkis).

Any way tie this weighted or unweighted, or under a parasol and it works. So far is has caught:

browns (some up to 19" and my brother lost one over 20" last weekend)
rainbows
cutthroat
cutbows
brookies
whitefish

It is my go to fly. I hope you enjoy it.

Hook: Size 16-18 (straight or bent)
Tail: Ginger Hen Hackle
Body: Dirty yellow sparkle dubbing
Ribbing: Gold or copper wire (fine)
Wingcase: turkey quill
Thorax: Tan Sparkle dubbing
Thread: Brown
Bead: Red

Put the bead on the hook. Pull off hen fibers and make the tail as long as the hook shank. Tie on the tail. Tie in the ribbing. Tightly dub the body and wrap 2/3 the way up. Counter wrap the wire to strengthen the dubbing. Tie in the wingcase and loosely dub the throax. Pull the wing case over and tie off behind the head. Pick out the thorax on the bottom and sides. That's it.

Variations:
Add wraps of lead around the hook and push into the bead for a deep fly.
Change the bead to gold or copper.
Tie under a parasol to float in the film. If doing a parasol leave the wing case extended and leave off the bead.
Tie a red throax (hot during the spawn)
Use halographic tinsel for the wingcase

I apologise if this pattern has been taken and I will give credit if someone lets me know if is another pattern.

katghoti
[signature]
The bumkis sounds like a good pattern,sure would like to see a pic.? If you can? do you tend to catch more trout than white fish on it?
[signature]
On the S. Fork I have only caught two whites on it. One 23" the other 16". On the Weber it is about 60-40 of browns to whites. People rag on whites, but man they sure can tug.

Katghoti
[signature]
I like the pattern. You said that someone else may have already tied this before. Many of the flies that I tie are a variation of another nymph. By adding something new in the materials you use, it becomes your fly in my opinion.
I have a pattern that I call a Black Canyon because I tied it before a trip to Black Canyon in Idaho and I used it there with great success. It is a spin off of a Hair's Ear but tied with very different materials. It is fun to experiment with new patterns and even better when they produce!
[signature]