Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for a new vise
I am finally ready to upgrade to a better vice and am looking for some suggestions on what brands or styles are the best. When I first started learning to tie at age 12, my dad just bought me a semi-cheap kit from Cabela's with a "sunrise" brand vise and I haven't changed since. It is nothing great, but has always got the job done and I was always too cheap myself to buy a new one as I would rather spend the coin on better rods/line/waders, etc. After several hundred thousand flies, I have noticed that the jaws are starting to wear and not hold the smaller hooks (18-22) like they used to. So have at it; what would you suggest and why?
(Please be detailed)
Thanks!
[signature]
I like the Regal copy that costs a lot less money. It rotates which is nice and it has a squeeze handle that it a lot better than the clamp type like a Thompson. One thing that I do like about my Thompson it the two sizes of jaws that it has. This makes tying flies of all sizes very easy to do. I also like to use a weighted base instead of clamping the vice to a table.
Vices are like rods. You will get a lot of differing opinions so get all of the information and then choose the vice that best fits your needs and price range.
[signature]
After trying a lot of vises it always ends up being Renzetti!
[signature]
James,
Are you currently carrying any at Hooked? I'd like to get in and play with one a bit if I could.
Thanks
[signature]
Yes, several brands.
[signature]
A new vice. Hmmm. I guess my first question would be... which vice(s) have you already mastered. Smoking, drinking, perhaps a trip to Wendover to gamble? If you havent already tried it, I reccomend hookers
[Wink]
[signature]
I like to consider myself a jack of all trades (vises).... By your definition of course!

Seriously though...I have recently gotten back into tying after about a 10 year hiatus and was given the opportunity to tie on a Renzetti Rotary vs my P.O.S. Thompson knockoff.

It was like eating a Ritz when all you've ever had was Saltines.

Until you try it, you can't know what I mean. I'm getting one as soon as I collect enough pop cans.
[signature]
[Wink] I'm just glad I never had to teach English/spelling. My students give me a hard enough time as it is. Besides, my secretary and undergrads so most of my spell checking and I doubt any one of them would even know what a vise is. [pirate]
That 'hooker' addiction is hard to beat though. Speaking of which, I need to pick up a few more at Hooked when I go to look at vises. James, is just a regular pimp!
[signature]
[reply]

Seriously though...I have recently gotten back into tying after about a 10 year hiatus and was given the opportunity to tie on a Renzetti Rotary vs my P.O.S. Thompson knockoff.

It was like eating a Ritz when all you've ever had was Saltines.

Until you try it, you can't know what I mean. I'm getting one as soon as I collect enough pop cans. [/reply]

To set the story straight, D-Mack just HAD to run out and buy an inferior vise even though I graciously offered one of my old Thompson Model "A" vises as a loaner to help him get back into tying. He then came over last week and tied on my Renzetti - I'm till mopping up the drool. Should've saved your money, Goofus!

I can't even imagine going back to a standard vise (30 years on those 'ol Thompsons) after going rotary. Now I'm just a spinnin' and a grinnin'.

Forget the cracker analogy - we're talkin' about moving up from tacos de perro to prime filet mignon. Oh, and since you left I noticed a bunch of stuff is missing out of my feather vault!!!

W2D
[signature]
Back to the original question.
I've tied on Thompsons, Regals, Dynaking, and a few others. I've seen most of the rest in action in the able hands of other tyers.

And the winner is (drum roll please):
Renzetti Traveler with pedestal base.

I've tied everything from #24 midge patterns to 2/0 bass poppers without changing jaws or making major adjustments. The pedestal vice is preferable so you can move it back from the edge of your tying table or bench and keep all your scrap contained. Additionally, most wives tend to get just a bit edgy when you start clamping machinery to their fine furniture. The Traveller is also leftie friendly.

Just the opinion of a tyer with almost 39 years of experience - your mileage my vary.

W2D
[signature]
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. More than anything, I really respect the opinions of those who have tied unnumerable flies and/or do it for a living. It looks like Renzetti is the go-to option. My biggest problem now is figuring how to squirrel enough money so the wife doesn't notice. Thanks again!
[signature]
It's almost Christmas time,let her know what to get you!!!
[signature]
The only problem is that she's all ready bought a laser range finder (I snooped[Tongue]) and I don't think she wants to get another moderately expensive gift. I guess I'll just have to go get some diamonds so she will feel guilty and get it anyway!
[signature]
I know you don't know me from Eve, but, I use the Renzetti with the cam jaws. I have used my Renzetti for years and replace the "O" ring once, plus I e-mailed Renzetti and they sent me a few of the "O" rings. I tie down to size 32 which is what I will be tying at the Idaho Expo this coming year. I love the vise and all the attachments that are available like extended body attachment and parachute. They are not a cheap vise but, they never break or wear out. I have been tying flys for a local store for the past 3 years and the vise is no worse for wear.
[signature]
Welcome Flygoddess![Smile]

I have not tied at the Idaho show for a couple of years,Have you tied there before? I just recieved my invitation to tie at the grand junction show, I really enjoy tying at that show.
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome.
This will be my first time tying at the Expo. I've done local seminars. They got wind of my size 32 bunny midges and asked me last & this year, but, I will diffinitly be there for 2006. Lone Palm wants me to do the Grand Junction show. Thinkin' about it. Se how the Idaho show goes. I have a hard time sitting for long periods of time, but the time flies (No pun intended) when I tye the bunny. Time consuming that small. Hardest thing is getting hook to vise.
[signature]
The Grand Junction show is smaller but it is also a little more cozy. Not as much of a production and you don't feel lost in the crowd. You will definately enjoy tieng at Idaho Falls and rubbing elbos with Big names. I tied next to Shane Stalcup the last time I was there.

Do you have a picture of your bunny?maybe you could post it?
[signature]