Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best light and heat source for ice shelters???
After setting up my new ice shelter tonight I realized it is really dark in there. Granted it was set up in my basement (it was also dark in the store model). It has 4 small windows about 8X12 inches but I wouldn't have been able to see enough to tie a jig on my line. So I really have a few questions.....

1. When you are outside in the sunlight (or even overcast day) is there enough light coming through the small windows (or up through the ice...)to see what you are doing?

2. If not what do you find is best for lighting the inside? I know many people use lanterns...

3. If a gas lantern is the answer to question #2 then do you have to worry about the fumes or CO build up or things like that inside the tent?

4. How about heat? Does the lantern put off enough heat to keep it toasty inside or does it need more than that. I have both a 14,000 BTU heater (small artificial sun) and a smaller colman polarcat catalytic heater. I think I have read that the catalytic heater is safe to use inside. I would imagine the 14,000 BTU heater would be overkill and probably not very safe because of the fumes. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, and experience!
[signature]
my shack is dark when in the basement too. on the ice ive never had a need for any lights. early morning or late evening may be a different story though. i have an eskimo that pops up from the sled. one cool thing about a shack is that you can see a lot deeper into the water. as far as heat- i usually use a single burner propane heater. i crack a window for ventilation.
[signature]
I'll tell you what, Bigcat. In my QuickflipII, I'm fishing in a giant puddle by the end of the day. The tent material they use on those Eskimos really hold the body heat in well. So I would say, unless it's 40 below, don't worry much about a heater. I haven't done any night time fishing in mine, but the light which comes in the windows durinig light hours was very sufficient, IMHO. Otherwise, I would use a Coleman electric/battery operated lantern hung from one of the flip supports...I'm kinda queasy when it comes to any possible fumes in those small shacks.
[signature]
Well... If you know me, you know I fish alot at night or read one of my crazy night posts.

With that in mind- during the day, we have never needed lights. At night/late evening we use a latern hung in the middle and headlamps on our heads. They work the best since you seem to always be looking at what you want lit up. Plus, LED ones are great rechargers for glow in the dark jigs, etc.

The latern usually heats up the shelter at night, but every now and then we fire up a mr. heater in there. It doesn't take long though before it gets hot even at night. We always crack both sides at the top and be sure to watch for proper air flow. It's very important, especially when both the heater and lanterns are lit.

Enjoy the new shelter! [cool]
[signature]
the eskimo does hold body heat really good. i use the burner more for cooking soup and hot chocolate. but it is nice to ice fish in short sleeves! we've never had any problems with fumes. by cracking the windows and also getting out of the shack once in a while the air stays pretty clear. i imagine if i were going to sit in there for more than a few hours i might wonder. but, i need to get out and stretch more often than that.
[signature]
My answers -
1) It's cool to be able to look far down into the hole and see the fishies. You can best see down there with everything closed up tightly. The windows are usually closed up with Velcro for a quick open and close.
2) Electric lanterns would be the safest and still relatively bright. Used only when conditions call for.
3) 10/4 on CO build up unless adequate ventilation. Often that defeats the result of the heater. Use the ones that are specifically made for indoors. They are listed on the boxes.
4) Usually a heater of up to 3000 btu's is enough. And it should be adjustable.

The fellowship among ice anglers is more often less in shelters than if you're standing around trying to get warm outside of one. Also, your larger chairs with a drink holder are almost too big for a normal sized shelter but my back gets tired of sitting on a bucket or camp chair.
Hope this helps and hope to see you guys on the ice soon!!!!
[signature]