Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to make fire.....fast
1.Make kindle with dead grass,bark,small sticks

2.take dry steel wool and place it in the kindle then take a 9 volt battery ( YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE A 9 VOLT BATTERY BUT IT WORK THE BEST) and touch the steel wool with it.this will produce a fast hot fire.Once you have used the steel wool to make a fire it will no longer work anymore.
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Great tip Lonewolf! Steel wool is always good to have because it burns easily and stays lit for awhile. I always carry a little bit in my hunting pack.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hi Lonewolf, say I never thought about using steel wool and a 9-volt battery. Great idea.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
What a good Idea, That is something I have not Learned yet!

The best why I have learned to make a fire really fast is to:

Fire up your old D-9 Dozer
Plow up some old stumps or logging debris
add old tires and 5 gallons of gas
light a match and throw on the fire
Sit down and enjoy the intense heat
Keep dozer running if it gets out of hand![Smile]

Do not do this a home kids, I am a trained professional!
[signature]
ANOTHER GOOD STARTER IS LINT FROM THE HOUSE HOLD CLOTHES DRYER. IT BURNS HOT STARTS EASLEY AND WEIGHS NOTHING. PUT IT IN A ZIP LOCK AND IT LAST. JUST NEED A LITLE TO START YR FIRE. ALSO ANOTHER IF YOUR IN PINE TREES. IS DRIED PINE SAP BY FAR NATURES BEST FIRE STARTER. ITS ALSO KNOWN TO OLD TIMERS AS PICH.
[signature]
Im not a big fan of this method as something for me to constantly rely on during my outtings.

For one, as many things in life, it isnt as easy as it sounds which is sort of odd since it really does spark up very quickly and well when the battery comes into contact with the wool.

However as most things it really does take a bit of practice to be able to reliably start a fire with this method on a consistant basis.

If you place tinder around the wool, and expect it to catch the tinder on fire, I find it more times than not simply would not catch.

What works best for me is to get my tinder pile ready, with the rest of my fire material nearby and ready, and than to ignite the wool with the battery and while blowing on it, which really makes it hot, catch a smaller, more flammable bit of material or tinder (such as a vaseline coated cotton ball, or some rolled up dried grass) and than placing that into the awaiting tinder pile to ignite it.

I also find that it takes a decent amount of wool to reliably use, and that a single 9 volt battery becomes more or less drained after 4 or 6 uses with the wool. I dont care to lug around enough wool nor batteries to afford me the luxury of relying on this method on a regular basis myself.

But it is a pretty cool little trick.
[signature]
having your materials ready is always your best bet.

as for tinder, one must constantly be looking for a sorce of tinder while in the wild. there is no gaurentee that any tinder pre captured may have been compromized by sweat, dew, rain or other forgen non-egniteable matter.

using the cross bow method or flat stick method do work but may take more time than one may want to spend. But it is the experience what matters "right?"

thanks for the share, its a good one, My most prefered method is a small magnifying glass, works great when I can get a couple minutes of sun during the day.
[signature]
Cotton ball w/ vaseline is still my best method. Just spread the cotton out enough that a flint/steel spark will take on it and that thing goes up fast! I've timed it at over 2 minutes burn time with about a 3-5 inch flame. That will get a fire going in all but the wettest conditions.
[signature]
[quote Belasko]Cotton ball w/ vaseline is still my best method. Just spread the cotton out enough that a flint/steel spark will take on it and that thing goes up fast! I've timed it at over 2 minutes burn time with about a 3-5 inch flame. That will get a fire going in all but the wettest conditions.[/quote]
[#0000bf]You spread the cotton out and spread a layer of vaseline on it?[/#0000bf]
Kitty
[signature]
No, take your cotton ball, a glob of vaseline and just work the goo into the cotton so it coats it entirely. Then you can put about 5-10 (depending on cottonball size) into a 35 mm film cannister. when you need it, just spread the cotton ball out so it will easily catch a spark.
[signature]
[quote Belasko]No, take your cotton ball, a glob of vaseline and just work the goo into the cotton so it coats it entirely. Then you can put about 5-10 (depending on cottonball size) into a 35 mm film cannister. when you need it, just spread the cotton ball out so it will easily catch a spark.[/quote]
[fishin]Thank you very much for answering me. I am certainly going to be using this tip, I never heard of it before! Have a great day![Image: happy.gif] Kitty
[signature]
this is an older thread but i figured it could use a lift..

another great thing to use is take a gallon of diesel gas and then some styrofoam.. feed the styrofoam tell all the diesel is absoarbed and you have a thick gue.. and put it in a couple spoon fulls in a ziplock bag it lasts forever.. it is basicly napalm.. another not so toxic version take bbq lighter fluid and toothpaste just some cheep past is best.. and mix it tell it is back to the same consistancy as toothp0aste.. a DIME SIZE GLOB WILL BURN FOR ABOUT 10 MIN..BOLTH BURN SUPER HOT and last a long time...
[signature]
I use cotton balls but this is a great tip too, I will try this next time!
[signature]