Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oddest catch
What is the strangest thing you have caught on the fly rod?
I have caught frogs at Kaysville ponds(couldn't quit,it was fun).
Sculpins on the weber.
[signature]
James,
I had a wooly bugger hanging from my rear view mirror as a memento of a recent trip to Vail. My husband took my car somewhere and really got himself hooked in that thing. He had to drive my 5 speed all the way home with a wooly bugger in his finger. So the strangest thing I caught is a dorkfish (without a corndog)[Smile] although technically it wasn't on a fly rod.
Janet
[signature]
My cousin once snagged a humming bird on his back cast on a #16 renagade. What are the odds of that. It was a pretty good fight too. He "landed" it, unhooked it and released it. The last we saw it was flying away very fast.
[signature]
Always wondered What a Dorkfish Looked like! Now I know[Wink]

Campfire: lol! That had to be a site to see. His fly line Buzzing around in the air!
[signature]
Myself. I was learning to flyfish and was at the stage I was whipping the feathers off the hook and I did a really nice tight loop and hooked myself in the back. I fought myself for a few times, I think I remember jumping and making long strong runs, but in the end I brought myself to net and released myself to catch again. Fortunately, I haven't been able to match the hatch on myself again and have spared my poor 5 wt the trouble of tangling with such a big sucker.

Katghoti
[signature]
I bet I have enough Bear hair here to match the Hatch! LOL![Wink] "you Gave me the opening, I had to take it"
[signature]
My son and I were fly fishing the weber when he hooked something. As he " set the hook"...(ripped it's lips off is a more accurate assesment) a snake he'd snagged whizzed by both our heads and well downstream.
...we cut the line cause were big wussies and don't care for snakes.
[signature]
When he was only about 12 years old, my son and I were fishing the Weber by Coalville. It was just about dark when he snaged something out of the air. When it hit the ground, we could see that he had just landed a Bat! I got my flashlight out and watched the bat pull the fly out of his wing and then fly away. Good thing he could get it out because we sure were not going to do it!
[signature]
This is not about the oddest thing I've ever caught more like the oddest thing I ever observed.30 years ago I was fishing a new spot with my grandpa in Calif called Mocassin creek.I saw a couple of guys working upstream to us when I noticed these odd pieces of tin wrapped around their lower legs.After they passed I asked " grandpa,what were those things on those guys legs?" His reply was
" Aw..those are just stovepipes to keep the rattlesnakes from biting through their jeans." Didn't enjoy that place much after that!
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]I caught frogs out in Stansbury. My uncle was teaching me how to flyfish, and that day I don't think I learned anything except how to catch a ton of frogs. Like HFT said, couldn't stop because it was too much fun.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]