Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle...no ice auger needed
I just got back from Jordanelle where I was fishing through the liquid ice.

I arrived after the sun was high in the sky about 10:30 AM...a late start but it's warmer that way. The water was flat and like glass. Air temperature was 41 degrees...the water temp was 47.4 degrees.

I jumped in my Cobra and made a beeline for the east shore where the rocky points are. I snapped a couple of pictures of the lake and tied on a watermelon with red flake Yamamoto grub...and decided to put some ripples on that mirrored surface.

After a half a dozen casts...and no takers, even though my Lorance was showing numerous fish at about 28-30 feet, I changed to a drop shot and small 4 1/2 inch multicolored drop shot worm.
Worked the area hard...with only one small bump.

Change of tactic again...this time to my standby Mojo rockhopper rig tipped with a Yamamoto single tail green pumpkin with black flake. I got immediate success but it unbuttoned half way back to the boat.

Headed toward the dam to the old gravel pit and started fishing the points. Only one point was holding fish. I yanked in 5 bass ranging from 14 to 19 1/2 inches...and managed to take a couple of slated self portraits...they're not the best...but when alone...it's hard to pose with a Smile.

I just released the 19 1/2 incher and was on the cell phone to CBR to tease him at being at work and not working at fishing today when I got a small tap on the line.

Somebody was knocking...tap...tap...tap...and I set the hook. Sorry I hung up on you CBR...but...it was a little more involved than what I expected. As I yanked...she yanked harder...and headed into deep water.

It was a good 5 to 10 minute fight on my 14# test fluorocarbon leader.
I was beginning to wonder what I had at the other end of the line.
I was hoping it was another Jordanelle monster bass.

Finally a flash...too much silver...and it was huge. I'm alone in the boat and no fish net in sight. But I managed to work the fish up alongside the boat where I tried to grab her tail. My hand didn't go around it. She was big bellied and ready to pop. I tried for a gentle grab to the gill plates, but she was a shy one and kept pulling away. I knew it was only a matter of time...before she would leave me kneeling there with only my rod in my hand.

I managed to get a quick measurement using my pole for reference. One more quick burst of energy and her teeth cut my line. Her memory will have to do as there was no time for introductions or photographs.

My guestimate using my fishing rod as guide was from the tip of the handle to just past the first eye...measures 35 inches...and she was just a little longer than that.

After a few colorful metaphors and tying on a new rig...I boated a couple of nice browns with one 26 inch hook jawed male and another 22 inch male that were milting all over as I lifted them out of the water. I think I pulled them out of their beds.

From there I headed up the Provo arm to a couple of favorite spots. Caught a 21 inch rainbow and 4 more smallies. A final fish was a small rainbow that I kept for the mother in law.

It's now a quarter past 2 and starting to cool down...a light breeze was rippling the water, so I headed for the boat ramp.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of old gentlemen boat ramp bait fishing. They were one rainbow shy of their limit using nightcrawlers...and one old gent was more than happy to pose for a picture with a couple of his catches.

Another great day on the water...

Oh...I think I will miss that german sweetie...that gave me the slip today. But she's in there just waiting for someone to tempt her again.

CBR will post the picture as soon as he can.

[signature]
Would have been nice to boat that fatty! Sounds like you had a fairly productive day this late in the season. Thanks for the nice report.
[signature]
Here are the pics.

[Image: 14_smallie_Jordanelle_112205.sized.jpg]

[Image: 17_in_smallie_Jordanelle_112205.sized.jpg]

[Image: Cliff_bigger_smallie_112205.sized.jpg]

[Image: Cliff_smallie_112205.sized.jpg]

[Image: 21_in_rainbow_Jordanelle_112205.sized.jpg]

[Image: unk_fishermen_boat_ramp_fishing_Jordanel....sized.jpg]

[Image: Jordanelle_like_glass_2_112205.sized.jpg]

[Image: Jordanelle_like_glass_112205.sized.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks CBR for the help in posting the pictures for me.

[signature]