Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing line - respooling
I just picked up some Polar Ice 4# line from SW. I want to respool my spinning reel. In the past, I have followed the instructions and laid my spool of new line flat on the floor and cranked it on the reel about 10 times to check if there is line twist - if there looks like twist I turn the spool on the floor over and start again. About half of the time I get the line on the reel without twist by doing this. The other half of the time, I still seem to have twist in the line. It's like a 50/50 chance to get it right and, I don't want to find out on the ice that I did it wrong again.

Maybe, I am not recognizing if I really am getting twist in the line or not. How can I tell if I really am getting twist in the line and what does it look like when the line is twisted after the recommended 10 or so cranks of the reel ? Has anyone figured out a good method that always works or have any techy secrets they could share to help with this ?
[signature]
Hey, hound, you've already spoken to (in the Ice Fishing Class for Beginners post) the expert - HFT. He can help you out in so many ways. Check with James, in person or on the phone, and he'll set you straight when it comes to your line spooling problems.
[signature]
you want the line to come off the spool and go on the reel in the same direction. on Stren line if you have the label side up that will be the right way. I only know that for sure on Stren line. hope this helps. later chuck
[signature]
I just take my spools off the reels and take them to the store with me and have them put the line on for me. Saves a lot of hassle and it only takes a few minutes.
[signature]
I ALWAYS DO LIKE UTWALLEYE STATED WITH ONE LITLE VAREATION I RUN THE SPOOLED LINE INDER HOT WATER FOR A MIN OR SO. THEN REPEAT WITH COLD WATER. ALL PLASTIC WILL LOOSE ITS MEMORY WHEN HEATED TO SOME TEMP AND AS IT COOLS IT RETAINS A NEW MEMORY. TRY IT YOU WILL SEE.
[signature]
If you get a new memory when cooling would you want to wait until you have the line spooled before rinsing with cold water? What do you put on the line to eliminate all memory forever? lol ...
[signature]
A WIFE. LOL
[signature]
I've been using Trilene in the past. It also says to place the spool label side up, but, if there is twist to turn the spool over and start again. My problem has been that sometimes I am not sure if the line is twisted as it always comes of the spool with coils and no matter what, it looks kind of like it has twists in it.
[signature]
That sounds like a good idea. As JoyRide mentioned, after I use the hot water, should I spool it on the reel first while it's still warm and wait until the line is on the reel before I use the cold water ?
[signature]
Twisted line is really a pain in the tush for sure. This might be taking things to the extreme but here's what I do. Go to a large grassy area. String your new line off the spool across the grass. Tie the end to your spool & wind it on keeping tension on the line between your thumb & forefinger. Ya gotta watch as the line is coming in & if it starts to look like it's getting coiled, lay the rod down & take the line between your fingers & walk down it making sure you don't get a birds nest in the process. Go back to winding, etc. etc.

Folks might look at ya kinda funny, one guy asked me "what happened, lose your kite?" but you'll wind up with line that won't want to twist.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I useta do a lot of salt water fishin' and one of the tricks I picked up for keeping line wound right was to let it out behind the boat, under power (without hook, lure, etc.). Let out about a hundred yards and then wind it back on the reel. Goes back under slight tension and all the twists are gone. This was especially helpful after bringing in a large fish on a "coffee grinder" (spinning reel). A lot of folks keep reeling while the fish is stationary or running line off the drag. That really puts twists in the line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, you can accomplish the same thing by having someone walk line off the reel, across a grassy park, and then letting go of the line so that you can reel it back in. Use your thumb and forefinger to hold the line so that it respools under slight tension. That will get rid of most twists. Some guys like to do that two or three times, after first refilling a spool.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another trick is to tie the end of your line to a GOOD swivel, and then attach the swivel to something stationary...with a large clean grassy area to walk back over. Let line out as you back away the length of a good long cast...or longer. Then reel the line back on the spool under tension. The swivel will take care of the untwisting of the line as you wind back down to it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is a good practice to always spool up properly. With a baitcast (revolving spool) reel, that is a no brainer. Lay the spool of line on its side in a bowl or small box, to keep it from running away, or hang it on a horizontal peg. Then just wind the line on the reel as the line spool rotates. If you put it on a spindle, there should be something to provide tension to keep the spool from backlashing if you give it a jerk or wind too fast and then stop. You should also use the thumb and forefinger to apply some tension to the line going on the reel.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Spinning reels are the most difficult to always spool up properly, because of the rotation of the bail and the potential twisting of the line. Making sure the line spool is facing the right direction is only the beginning. Not all spinning reel spools are created equal. Different diameters will require more or fewer twists, to keep even with the twist of the line coming off the line spool.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the reel spool is close in diameter to the line spool from which you are taking line, there will be little incidence of twist. More commonly, the reel spool is smaller in diameter and twist starts developing within a few rotations of the reel handle. If you stop reeling, and let some slack in the line, between the rod and the line spool, you will see the line kinking up. That is twist. The best remedy is to reverse the side of the spool from which the line is coming off. Reel a few more times and check again. On an ultralight spool, you may have to reverse the line spool several times before getting the level where you want it. If you have had to do that maneuver a few times, it is likely there will be some twist on your reel spool. Unavoidable. That is when you might wanna do the untwist techniques suggested above.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One last thought. It is common for folks to put too much line on both baitcast and spinning reels. Baitcasters will cast better, with fewer "professional overruns" if you leave at least 1/8 " showing on the outside of the reel spool. Spinning reels also cast better, with fewer "boil-offs", if you leave a little space between the outside lip and the topped off line level. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am amazed at how many tackle shops overfill line spools for customers who bring their reels in for new line. I understand that they want to give good value to their customers...or maybe just sell more line...but they are really creating more problems than they solve. Getting a full spool is not about getting full value. I have heard quite a few anglers complain about having to take some line off the spools after refilling to get it to cast right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The important thing is to keep GOOD line on your reels, and to change it after a few trips. Ultimately, the line is one of the cheapest investments you make in your fishing pleasure, on a per trip basis, but it is the most crucial link between you and the fish. We have far too many BIG FISH LOST reports in which line failure made the difference between the fish of a lifetime and just another fisherman's tale.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
of course you spool the real first then cool...
[signature]
Hey thanx guys for all the good info.

I usually only change my line once a year, but, I strip off a little before each trip to insure that I have removed the "used up" portion that might have nicks in it.

I generally have taken off some after having line put on by a tackle shop - as you said TD, they seem to always overspool the reel(even worse than I do when I do it myself). Having a tackle shop do it takes a trip to the store - sometimes I don't have the time before a fishing outing.

I've used the walk the line out in the park a hundred yards or so then reel it back in method. And, I've trolled my line to untwist it, but that is not feasible during the winter or if I am fishing without my boat.

Another thing I have tried, without much success, was to fashion a holder for my spinning spool and put it on a drill. But that never loaded the line on very evenly.

I think my next attempt will be to use the warm water treatment as mentioned and see how that goes.
[signature]