Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach 11-23-05
[cool][#0000ff]Had some time. Hadda get outta da house. Hadda take the wife (TubeBabe). Went to Lincoln Beach. Shoulda stood in bed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Item 1...restroom facilities are closed for the season. No portapotty. Use your survival training.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Item 2...there is ice in the protected water inside the reeds around the south side of the lake. Figured the water temp must be under 40. Sonar confirmed. 37 degrees inside the boat channel, 39 in the main lake at 7:30 AM. Air temp 24 degrees. The skim ice was still there about noon when we got off the water. Maybe Utah Lake will get a hard deck this year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Item 3...no major fishing action. Saw quite a few small fish cruising at middepth (in 8 foot depth), and a few a bit larger off the bottom. No large fish on sonar at all. And, this was the first trip I ever made to Lincoln Beach that I did not see or hook even one carp. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, no other anglers...boat, tube, toon or bank. Had a few "lookylous" drive along the road and stop to watch us, but no other folks hit the water. There was a guy going out in a tin boat and an electric motor as we came in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We threw almost every kind of plastic, spinner and jig in our arsenal, with virtually no action at all. We tipped with worm and minnow, but that didn't help. Tried dragging and floating worms and minnows. Zipppppp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did get a few light taps on small chartreuse glider jigs. One of those turned into a small white bass. That was all that kept skunkdom at bay. TubeBabe brought in only her skunk.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Item 4...the water is coming up in Utah Lake again. I estimate that the level is up about a foot or so since my last trip, a month ago. That makes it about 3 or 4 feet higher than it was at this time last year, and only about two feet from the high water mark of last spring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Steam was rising from the first spring area, and I hoped maybe there was some warmer water coming in and that maybe there would be some fish congregated...as they have been in the past. NOPE. The water around the springs was the same temp as the open lake...39.5 degrees. I did meter some small schools of fish sitting inside the bowl of the first spring though. I suspect either small white bass, crappies or bluegills. I did not work them very aggressively.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't know, if there is a bite down there it must be a late afternoon or evening bite, after the water picks up a couple of degrees. It made it up to about 41 by the time we left.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think we may have "put Utah Lake to bed" for this year. I doubt I will get too interested in it again until about March. Then we will see if there are any fish left. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know there are crappies and some white bass moving into the harbors and protected areas now. Those who know the good spots, and how to fish them, can count on harvesting a few until the ice caps the water. Then, it can get really good under the ice in those "inside" areas.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You just saved me a trip there friday afternoon.But then again i am stubborn when it comes to fishing whent he skunk smell is in the air.Maybe i can get me some crappie thanks for that report.
[signature]
nice chunk of bait you got there dude.. or are you and tubebabe got flip for who get the one bite and who gets the other 2 bites?
lol
i'm hopeing utah lake get's hard this year.. it's a blast to ice fish it..

thanks for the report dude..

you going to do any ice this year?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, I'll "do some ice" this year. Pardon me if I wait until it's more than just wet skim ice though. Some of us gots less brass and more brains.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey Ocean...that area around the dock inside the boat harbor might just have a few fishies hangin' around. It has a lot more water than last year and it produced then. I launched out off the end so I did not check out the inside part.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey Pat, Thanks for the report. Looks like I will not venture there until this spring. At least you didn't get skunked![/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I am gonna give it a try next week after work if there isnt any overtime.
[signature]
[cool]Well, TD, I'm glad that you and tubebabe went out and already did the investigating for the rest of us. I know that a lot of us were wondering how it's going out there. I really hope it does freeze this year as I've never ice fished it but have heard good things about the crappie, whitie, bluegill and 'eye fishing under the ice there!
[signature]